looking for anyone with pics on pool filter sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris127

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi guys i want to put some pool filter sand in my 20G as part of my renovation and to contrast the fish ill be getting. i was wondering if anyone had some pictures of it so i know what im getting into. also, if i put my left over eco on the bottom would that get mixed into it?

Eventually through water changes they would get mixed. If you go to my profile page, and look at my albums, several of my tanks have pool filter sand.

Here are some pics of the sand itself, not in a tank:

Coarse sand:

Attachments

• DSC03201.jpg
    DSC03201.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC03208.jpg
    DSC03208.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 70
okay so its not a blinding white like i thought :D thanks! is that just a drinking cup?

by source do you mean brand? what brand isnt a bright white?

Yes, that's just water in a drinking cup. I tested the GH/KH to make sure the sand wasn't going to change the water parameters and it didn't. But yes, they both unfortunately were a blinding, ghastly white under my CF lighting. That's why I changed it out about 8 months later for Eco Complete.

Both of the sands I pictured were pool filter sand. I went to two different pool/spa stores and they both were nice enough to give me a cup or so of sand so I could test the water parameters with it and see what it looked like wet. I went with the coarse sand. It was beautiful with the tank lights off and much too bright white with them on. :(

I have three brands of PFS between all my tanks, none are a bright white. Just look around at different pool supply stores until you find one that isn't white. I also mix mine with some black Estes sand to give it a peppered look.

by source do you mean brand? what brand isnt a bright white?

By source I mean the actual type of quartz used to make the silica sand, or in the case of Red Flint, as shown in the link, a multicolour tpe. It does often go by brand. If you look at Red Flint, they also have an aquarium sand, which appears to be the same product as their PFS.

I have pool filter sand in a few tanks and really like it,The brand I use is called Aqua Quartz..kind of dull cream white color;my cories love digging around in it

can i see a picture of it in your tank? :D i think i like it but idk..

Back
Top Bottom