Looking for Inspiration...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chunks-McGoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so I have a 75g tank planted and cycling and have plans for a community tank all set. Mostly some schooling fish and a few Bolivian Rams...

I just got a great deal on a 55g. comes with a pair of filters, but I have not seen them yet, so I don't know what kind or how serviceable they are...

Anyway, I don't know what I should do with the 55. I love fish, reptiles, and almost every other animal that people keep. I want to make a nice Firebelly Toad setup, but I think 55g is too much to dedicate to that. I am leaning toward fish, assuming the filters are good.

So who has ideas?

I like rainbow sharks... You could do a bunch of tropicals and have a rainbow shark as a centerpiece. Or, you could do a themed tank. Like an Asian theme and do Asian decor and Asian fish. I also saw a thread where a guy made a pandora (avatar) themed tank. That's just what I'd do.

Actually, if the filters are good, I am thinking of going with a Rainbow Shark. What do well with them? Maybe a few med size American Cichlids?

Chunks-McGoo said:
Actually, if the filters are good, I am thinking of going with a Rainbow Shark. What do well with them? Maybe a few med size American Cichlids?

Maybe a few of the less aggressive ones, but you'd have to see the individual sharks personality. If he gets aggressive he'd do great! But if you get a docile one, it could easily get ripped apart by the more aggressive cichlids.

Any way to tell how aggressive he is humanely? I mean, should I try moving a few fish in with him from the community tank and see how he reacts for a day or so? Sounds kinda mean if he turns out to be a jerk.

I was thinking about some Turq. Severums or blood parrots maybe. both can usually take care of themselves without starting fights.

You sound like you're better with cichlids then me lol, but I'd just put him in the community for a while, watch him, and see how he does.

Perhaps. I might consider letting the shark and whatever tankmates have the 75g. I am still about 2 weeks from stocking that. And I won't get the 55g till tomorrow, so it won't be any time too soon.

Chunks-McGoo said:
Perhaps. I might consider letting the shark and whatever tankmates have the 75g. I am still about 2 weeks from stocking that. And I won't get the 55g till tomorrow, so it won't be any time too soon.

Sounds good.

My 75g has about an inch to an inch and a half of open space along the back for filters, etc. I don't know if there is something you can get to close that off, or if anyone knows an easy DIY way to do it... But if I can close that I will Do a Rainbow Shark and a school of Tiger Barbs (Green if I am lucky enough to find a school of them)

If I can't seal up that hole, I will plant the 55g and use that for the Shark and Barbs. Whichever don't have the Shark will be the community tank I have planned.

BTW, thanks for the advice Homedog, it helped give me some direction

Chunks-McGoo said:
My 75g has about an inch to an inch and a half of open space along the back for filters, etc. I don't know if there is something you can get to close that off, or if anyone knows an easy DIY way to do it... But if I can close that I will Do a Rainbow Shark and a school of Tiger Barbs (Green if I am lucky enough to find a school of them)

If I can't seal up that hole, I will plant the 55g and use that for the Shark and Barbs. Whichever don't have the Shark will be the community tank I have planned.

BTW, thanks for the advice Homedog, it helped give me some direction

No problem! Glad I could be of assistance! Lol.

I had a gap in a piece of plastic used for an old filter system at the back of my tank so I slotted a piece of sponge in it to stop my fish swimming thru the gap and getting stuck in there, might work for u?

Maybe, trouble is that the tank I got is an older one and the glass lid peices leave a full inch and a half I would say all the way across the back, except where the glass centerpiece is built. Which means I have 2, 20"x1.5" gaps in the back.

Back
Top Bottom