Looking for reccomendations for Flake Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have just about run out of my TetraColor Tropical Flake food. I bought this stuff awhile ago, I just need something to feed my fishies. Now that it's gone I would like to get them some good stuff, so any reccomendations? I have been feeding them flake and Bio-Blend. The breeds I have in my tank are in my sig, if that helps.

The best flake on the market IMHO is Omega One. If you find any at the store, compare the ingredients to any of the other flake foods and you'll see what I mean. Its the only one I know of that has the first bunch of ingredients as REAL fish, and not fillers or meal. Not cheap tho LOL

I have Bio-Blend Tropical and Bio-Blend Herbivore, and have not been successful with them. They sink right to the bottom, so I suppose my Cories eventually eat them, but the Platies and Mollies hardly eat them.

I have NutraFin Tropical Flakes and Spirulina Algae Flakes, which go over really well (except for the red flakes in the Tropical, which nobody touches).

The bloodworms I give them in the evening always disappear in a flash.

I use Omega One, everyone that I have loves it, even my betta...well, he used to before going on a hunger strike.. differnt topic.

You know, I've also noticed my fish don't like the red flakes as much as the others, no matter what flake food I've used....weird. I wonder if anyone else has seen that.

All I know is the one time I had food for my cichlids that was colored red and orange (While experimenting for a good mix of foods for them..) it totally messed with their color. It turned a nice blue one yellow, and he's still recovering almost 2 months later. He's back to a pale, pale yellow with blue highlights and shine.

My other suggestion would be from some research in the past, that they can't see them well or something. I know their eye sight is tuned towards blue light.

The flakes I currently use (Cheap stuff unfortunately..) doesn't have much red per say, more of a light pink.

One of my LFS has a really limited selection of food, nothing fancy at all. I told them I was using Nutrafin tropical, they told me they didn't recommend that brand and switched me to TopFin. I've been more successful with TopFin than with Wardley colour flakes. The Wardley stuff has a weird consistency and was hard to eat - they ate it, spit it out, and then tried chewing again.

All my fish love the Omega One food. I have a cichlid tank that gets large pellets, a 55 gal. which I feed flakes, and a 20 gal. long which also gets flakes. The tanks I use flakes in love the veggie flakes, and the carnovore flakes! I think your fish will thank you. I also have some bio blend which is a great food also, but it sinks too fast for most of my fish, and the pieces are too big for my tetras to eat.

I want to give the Omega One a try, but I can't find the stuff in stores around here. Ordering it would be a waste since it cost more to ship then it cost to buy. I agree with all of you about the Bio Blend sinking way to fast, it is a great food though. Is there a web site for the manufacturer of Omega One? Sometimes I can find distributors through the manufacturers site.

WOW, I'm usually pretty good at "googleing" but I can't find out who the manufacturer of Omega One is anywhere. I did find that it is manufactured, and have convinced myself that I, or rather my fish, need some. Could someone who actually has some look on the back of the container and see who manufacturs this product, or if perhaps, they have a website? I live in Houston so I'm sure someone around here sells this product, but a link to the manufacturer might save me some driving time.

It says, "Made in Alaska, OmegaSea Ltd., P.O. box 1265, Sitka, Alaska 99835. I saw no web address on the can.

Ha Ha!!! I found it. It is OmegaSea.net

Unfortunately it only says "Available Only at Independant Pet Stores."
I could not find any other links as to which local retailers carry their product. Oh well, just another excuse to go visit all the lfs's.

Have fun! If you can't find it, you know where to go online! :wink:

I also noticed on the Omega One website that when you click on the products link, it only shows the pellets and the super veggie formula. They also have cichlid flakes etc., so you are not seeing all the Omega One products.

I am another Omega One lover. I use the veggie flake, which does have some protein but not as much as the protein flake they offer. You have to be careful because many fish should not have too much protein, so the veggie flake is usually best for most. I have ordered this from Bernie (fishstoretn.com) and even with shipping it was the exact price that I pay for it locally. I also like the Hikari micro pellets, for variety, and my mollies will eat only that and algae wafers.

Many times when you switch food the fish will refuse the new food for a couple of days, so be prepared for that.

Have you ever found a fish food with NO food coloring in it? That really makes me sad that manufacturers think they have to add dyes, I know that stuff is not good for fish or people either. :x grr.. Anyway I suppose I will be hard pressed to find something without food coloring. Maybe I will just start breeding live food for all of my fish SW and fresh. :D I would like to try the omega food sometime too that sounds like good stuff. Peace

I may in fact have to get it online. I have already checked the lfs which I was pretty sure would carry Omega One. I have one other to check, but it is a little far away so I don't get by there too often. Otherwise, I will be giving Bernie a try.

Not only do I want to recommend the Omega One food, I also want to second Gunnie's suggestion of ordering it from Bernie at www.fishstoretn.com. I have the great fortune of living near The Fish Store and dealing with Bernie in person. He has a wonderful store and you can't beat his prices- not to mention he's a pretty cool guy, too. Your fish will thank you! :wink:

Looks like I'll be ordering then. Since there is no one around here that carries it. I live in CA though. Speaking of which, Which flake again? Tropical? or Color?

Back
Top Bottom