looking for schooling fish....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowsNrams

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking for some bright colorful fish that will school together. A while back my daughter picked out neon tetras, nine of them and within three days all but two had died. Now I only have two & worry that they are stressed since there should be more. I was later informed there is a high death rate for these fish BC of over breeding. Any advice about what to do or what to replace them with? I thought of taking the two who survived back to the store and starting over with a new school of hardier fish.... But what kind?

rummy nose tetra is the hardiest (schooling) fish i had ever encountered!

also try silvertip tetras (though can be nasty at nitpicking at each other) the colours are golden yellow specially when you feed them artemia (brine shrimp)

I havent found many more colorful freshwater fish then the neon tetras. I got 9, 3 weeks ago and havent lost 1.

2 of my most colorful fish in my tank are Boesemani Rainbows (orange and Blue) and baloon belly blue rams.

Neons usually need great water quality. It could be a bad batch or poor conditions at the fish store too. Pristella tetras are very hardy, and they get great color with quality food and water conditions. Rummynose tetra would also be a great choice, but a little bit less hardy.

zach_1_6 said:
is your tank cycled? How big? current stock?

My tank is cycled, it is 0 ammomia, 0 nitrites & 10-20 ppm nitrates.

The tank is 60 gallons. Currently in it is
6 turquoise rainbow
2 gbr
12 corydoras
2 dwarf gourami
2 khuli loaches
5 neons & cardinals mixed
One lonely red long fin tetra
One plec

I have a 350 penguin bio wheel hob filter. I do weekly water changes BC I am anal & don't like to see food in my gravel. & the tank is planted.

Yesterday I took the dominant rainbow fish I had back to the store and got three smaller ones to replace him and all the rainbows are together now! Minus one loaner, he hangs out alone still. I also picked up a few cardinal tetras, my twin boys love them! Evryone seems much happier now. After acclimating the cardinals, we put them into the tank and one of them couldnt swim. I took him back to the store. And now there is one with a single white dot between his eyes. I hope I it is not ick. I havent had it before & Don't know what to do in case it is ich. I Don't have a qt tank. & I cant catch those fish with a net, they are soooo fast! Do fish ever get a single small white spot that is not ich? Please say yes!

You need to get a few more kuhlis, they really need buddies. I'd go for at least 5. I have more than a dozen and they're just crazy happy.

What about filling out your school of red tetras? What species is that fish? Serpae?

Watch that fish for ich. With ich, you must treat the entire tank, it's not a QT thing.

Neon Tetras should only be added to a tank that is well established! It is not a good fish to start because it stresses easily in a tank that is not well established and stocked with other fish. I would get you tank well stocked and water in good condition and then add maybe 9 neon tetras. They need to run in schools.

Back
Top Bottom