looking for some help with these gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HTL1799

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey my problem is I have a 15g tank with 1dwarf, 1 blue, and 1 gold gourami. They chase and push each other around alot, but it's been 2 months and none of them are hurt or beat up. I just feel like the 2 smaller ones are stressed. Im already in the process of getting a 30g tank. But is 30g going to be enough? Is there anything I can do to make them fight less? I bought a lot of plants and structures for them to hide in and that has helped a lot. Im just looking for some advice on what I should do, I feel bad for my fish :(

welcome to the forum....

I had gouramis and, with the exception of the dwarf gourami, found them to be a very nasty and aggressive species. Your current tank is way to small for the three of them. A 30 gallon would probably be fine. That said, with the exception of the dwarf, I believe the other species of gouramis need to have at least a few of the same species in their schools.

Hold on for other comments.

I've read a bit on the dg and other gouramis and what pp just stated that majority of gouramis need a few friends of same kind except the dg. Dg especially males are pretty territorial.

nextgeneration40 said:
I have heard that floating plants help to make DG's feel more relaxed, just an idea..

I did this with a shy pearl gourami and i immediately saw an improvement. I added a bunch of frogbit and a few minutes later Mr Pearl came out and was swimming around as though he was never shy in the first place. Try it, I think your gouramis will appreciate it

As stated, the gold and the blue need a considerably larger tank for life. The minimum I'd go with would be a 40 breeder to be honest. They are also the same species regardless of coloration. Trichogaster (although I think the genus was renamed or they were moved to trichopodus) trichopterus and do best singly or in 1 male to multiple female stocking. Pearls, honey, and moonlights tend to be more peaceful and get along with their own better.

Thanks for the replies. I have been reading about it and a lot of places say "dont put male gouramis together, they'll fight to the death". But it has been 2 months and all the fish look healthy. And they never really bite or hit each other, but they just chase each other around. Does that mean they get along, but just "spar"? Sort of how dogs "play fight"?

Behaviors change as they mature. A healthy, well kept 3 spot should hit a bulky 5". Those at the shops are young. As soon as they hit maturity or a size where they can no longer seperate far enough from one another, they will harm each other in a tank of that size IMO.

So once my 30g tank is ready, would it be a good idea to add a few more female blue/gold/opaline gouramis? Also what other fish would be compatible with my 2 three spots and 1 dg in a 30g tank

Back
Top Bottom