Looking for suggestions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reaper216

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 40 gallon corner bowfront tank. Currently have 5 dalmation mollies, 5 black mollies, 5 neon tetras, 5 blackfin tetras, 5 leopard danios, 2 algae eaters and a hatchetfish.

I wanted to add something else, maybe a bigger fish as a focal point and maybe something to walk on the bottom.

I wanted to get a crayfish, this little guy at Petco only had 1 big claw but the associate told me they would try to eat my other fish.

Suggestions? Any and all are welcome!

I have a 40 gallon corner bowfront tank. Currently have 5 dalmation mollies, 5 black mollies, 5 neon tetras, 5 blackfin tetras, 5 leopard danios, 2 algae eaters and a hatchetfish.

I wanted to add something else, maybe a bigger fish as a focal point and maybe something to walk on the bottom.

I wanted to get a crayfish, this little guy at Petco only had 1 big claw but the associate told me they would try to eat my other fish.

Suggestions? Any and all are welcome!

You could get a dwarf orange Cray. They don't go after fish, but they will feast on dead ones if they get the chance of course. Gouramis are nice focal point fish, but they can be somewhat aggressive. Nothing harmful but they are bullies. I personally enjoy dwarf cichlids and they light up my planted tank nicely.

Gourami's are not considered plant eater but they do seem to love eating the roots of floating plants or ones not in the substrate. I've always kept gourami's in my planted tanks. Pearl gourami's make a nice addition to a planted tank IMO.

Getting one would probably be okay but your pretty much maxed out on your tank stock but also be aware that blue/gold/opaline gourami's (which are all the same, just color variants) can be nippy and aggressive. That's why I suggested the "usually" more peaceful Pearl gourami. But just so you know any gourami has the potential of being nippy or a bully. It all just depends on the individual temperament of the fish.

Indeed, I have a flame and he likes to express dominance over my rams. They don't like it but they also don't retaliate lol. The flame really has no territory but once in a while it will hover in a spot and push away at anything that gets close

Back
Top Bottom