Looking for that last fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omni024

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 75 g that I’ve made into tropical community tank that currently houses
2 angel fish (pair)
1 Golden gourami
1 albino bristlenose pleco
1 redtail shark
5 Siamese algae eaters
13 zebra danios (dither fish started with 24 but they like to commit suicide)
13 panda Cory

Currently looking to finish it off fish wise but I feel like it’s missing something in the middle to top layers of the tank.
I do have some hardy plants in the tank mainly various types of Anubis.
I want something bigger 6+ inches but something that won’t terrorize the tank. my Lfs has some juvenile gold Severums that I was thinking maybe 1 would do alright in the tank or maybe a discus or two. That or I’m thinking a small school (5) of Congo tetras but I’m not sure if they are super nippy like many other tetras.

So honest thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

I don’t know much about large fish but I was looking for the same thing for my tank and ended up with a school of Giant Danios and love them. They love the top and mid, never see them on the bottom and they they full of color and activity

One flashy mid-sized cichlid is the Electric Blue Acara. The males are awesome, bright blue coloring with bright red edging on the dorsal fin. Not anymore aggressive than your Red Tail Shark. Swims at all levels.

I don’t think discus are a good fit because they need very clean water and a higher temperature than the other fish you have. And a six inch fish is too big for your tank. Congo tetras or giant danios would work, though.

6 inch fish too big for a 4’ long aquarium .... sure

I don’t think discus are a good fit because they need very clean water and a higher temperature than the other fish you have. And a six inch fish is too big for your tank. Congo tetras or giant danios would work, though.

6 inch fish too big for a 4’ long 75 gallon tank... I’m really at a loss for words to describe how silly that statement sounds

I like to make sure fish have plenty of room to swim. A 6 inch fish might live just fine in a 75 gallon tank, but is it humane. The tank is 4 feet long but how wide and high? Sorry if you think my concern for the fish is silly. As aquarists, I think we have the responsibility to give our charges the best life we can. To add a large fish to a 75 gal tank with 36 other fish is just not appropriate.

Dicus probably are not the way to go. They need relatively hot and overly pristine water. In addition, frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp are a must. Failure to meet their particular needs usually result in disaster. I kept Discus for several years and found them beautiful but IMO a royal PITA.
Regarding the addition of a good mid sized centerpiece fish, IMO it's probably okay. Remember not all 6" plus fish are created equal. A 6" Blue Acara or Firemouth Cichlid have far less total body mass than that of thick high bodied fish fish like a Texas Cichlid or a RIvulatus
GT of the same length.
I'm pretty sure the other members are making their stocking assessments based on the future maximum size potential of your current stock. That is always a factor you need to keep in mind. I'm notoriously guilty of overstocking my tanks and am constantly having to make adjustments as a result.

V227 makes a good point about future size - also have to keep in mind the amount of swimming room with the other tank inhabitants, decor etc when talking about a 6" fish in a 4' tank

My 75g houses 12 boeseman rainbowfish, 3 guppies, 8 cherry barbs, 6 albino cories, 6 ottos, and 6 Amano shrimp.

That’s as far as I’m willing to go. I consider my rainbow fish as my centerpiece even though they are the ones with the largest population in my tank. I have no intention of adding anything more.

You could probably add 6-8 rainbows but I would clear out some of your current stock. My rainbows are all over the tank.

Back
Top Bottom