looking for true SAE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay. While I'm online I'm gonna throw this out there. I'm having difficulty finding a true Siamese algea eater (SAE) of the Crossocheilus siamensis species. Can ANYONE tell me where I may find such a fish. I have an affinity for peaceful (that excludes the Chinese algae eater) and efficient (that also kinda excludes the Chines algae eater) algae eaters. I love otos but they are hard to find here too.

I just ordered 24 of them from Arizona Aquatic Gardens (www.azgardens.com). I also ordered some American Flag Fish and some Skunk Botia Loachs to help with the aglae and snail problem I have. This my first order from AZGardens...so I can't tell you much about ther service yet. I ordered from AZ Gardens as I needed some plants also....so I thought I would do some "one stop shopping".

They also have them at www.aquariumfish.net, and I have had GREAT luck them! I have spent about $200 in fish from them...all have always arrived on time and alive.

Good luck!

WC

SAE order

Okay. I ordered 2 SAEs from aquariumfish.net. I also ordered a couple of Zebra loaches as I can't find them here either. I also figured if I was paying for all that shipping I may as well get my money's worth. I hope they live as I can't afford to keep buying fish that way. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck! I will be getting mine on friday from AZgardens.com. Since placing the order...I have heard some poor reviews from them...such as half of them dead on arrivial...and the other half dead the next day. I am a little nervous now. I have alway had great luck with Aquariumfish.net...so you could be much better off than I. Wish me luck!

I don't order mail order unless I am getting A LOT of fish to make the shipping cost worth it. 1 fish or 100 fish...doesn't matter to aquariumfish.net...shipping is the same price.

Tell me how they work out!

WC

aquariumfish.net purchase

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm excited about getting these fish as it will complete my list of fish I want.

hate to rain on your parade, but I ordered from AZ Gardens and 3/4 of the SAE were DOA, the others perished shortly thereafter. It was a shame b/c they looked pretty cool. I also ordered 12 Dwarf Neon Rainbows from them, cories, snails, plants. All the DNR(most died within a month) & cories are dead. My fish form the LFS are all extremely healthy and loving life. The plants were OK. It really kind of stinks because I dropped upwards of $300 there and tried to fu be they TOTALLY ignored my follow up emails and voice messages :x

I didn't order any fish from AZ Gardens, but I ordered some plants and they screwed up my order and didn't respond to emails. Still much cheaper than LFS for plants and a good idea for kick-starting a large planted tank, but I would not order fish from them. Good luck with aquariumfish.com. For others, I would recommend going to your LFS (assuming it's not one that mislabels SAEs which are actually something else) and ask them to try to get SAEs.

Okay. The order came this morning, earlier than I thought. All fish look good so far. I'll have them in the QT at lunch. I had them delivered to me at work so they wouldn't be left outside or anything. They look good and active. Aquariumfish put heat packs in the box to keep them warm. I'll keep you updated on how the fish acclimate. I'm so very excited!

Fish still okay. SAEs are swimming around and have gained full color. Zebra loaches doing good except for fighting with a YoYo loach. I'm thinking this aquariumfish.net order will turn out successful. I'll keep updating regardless of outcome, if you think it is worthwhile for me to do so.

I for one would be interested in seeing results (not necessarily every day), but a check in that would go past the normal 2 week guarantee at the lfs. If the odds of mail order are as good as lfs, then it's an open avenue (pending shipping) for getting hard to find fish.

Glad to hear all are well! :)

My AZgarden.com will be here on friday. So far I have e-mailed them twice about the order....and I got immediate responses. I am VERY excited about the order. I hope everything will go as well and Dax's aquariumfish.net order.

Did they take right to the hair algae...or do you have them in QT for now? I must admit....I have bought $250 in fish from aquariumfish.net...and I never QT'd any of them....and they all did great. I had my first death of a Harliquin Rasbora after 4 months who did not tolerate the heat/salt ick treatment I was doing to the tank..everyone else is doing great!

WC

SAE on algae

I put some plastic plants that had some algae on them in the QT tank a few days before. I have a ton of plastic plants in my main tank, along with a few live plants. I have seen them seemingly foraging the surface of the algae covered plants. My algae is the reddish-brown kind. I have very little green algae in my tank. The fish look great. I'm interested in your order from AZ Gardens. I hope it works out well for you.

I got my AZgarden.com order today!!!

I got: 24 Siamese Algae Eaters (SAE), 6 American Flag Fish, 4 Skunk Botia, and a small arrangement of plants.

I had requested that the shipment come FedEx AM delivery, but when the tracking number it was scheduled for an afternoon delivery....when I would not be home! I had to call FedEx and try to request that I pick up the FedEx office. They could not guarentee that this would happen..so I drove 30 minutes this morning in hopes to get it...the truck with the package was leaving in 5 minutes when I got there...so I just made it!

The box was ony a cardboard box, not at styrofoam cooler as I had expected. The fish were double bagged and wrapped in newspaper. The plants were in individual baggies, and most were marked with what they were...which was nice! There was also a hand warmer in the box that was still warm.

I could see right off that some of the SAEs did not make it...6 were DOA. I drip acclimated them for 2 hours...and netted them and put them in the tank.

The Flagfish were doing wonderful...and eating some hair algae within 30 minutes of being in the tank!! Some SAEs were doing well, swimming in schools...others were breathing rapidly at the bottom of the tank. The Botia were acting odd....some swimming near the top and others at the bottom. I also...perhaps....thought...maybe...that one of the Botia may have had 3 ick spots on his tail. God I hope not...I will monitor closely and start heat/salt/diatomic filter tomorrow if my fears are true!! All this was with the lights out, so it could be some coloring on the fish....I hope!

The plants were BEAUTIFUL!!! The most gorgeous vals, swords, Anubias that I have ever seen!! I did not have much time to plant...so I put them in quickly were I had room...and hope to replant a little better this weekend.

So far....my experience at AZgardens.com has been what I expected. I did expect some loss (althought I was hoping for none). It was sad seeing that these guys died for me. It appears that SAEs do not ship all that easily. Hopefully I will not have an ick problem...but if I was to have one...the Botia would be the most likely to get it first.

I will keep you posted

WC

shipped fish

Overall it sounds good. Sorry you lost those SAEs. If I had ordered more I may have lost some too. I hope your fish continue to acclimate and get better. My shipped fish are doing extremely well, though I only ordered 4. The fish I got recently at the lfs are still in the QT with ich.

SAEs

When I left on 4/1 everything was fine. I expect things to be okay when I return. The 4 fish I purchased have been very healthy-acting so far. Actually, they are better than many lfs bought fish lately. I'll send an update when I return on 4/6.

I wish my order from Azgardens.com was as good:

I needed to give you the final result from the AZgarden Order:

SAEs: Ordered 24 - NONE SURVIVED!

Skunk Botia Loachs: Ordered 4: only have seen 1 - DEFINIATELY BROUGHT ICK!!! I am doing the Heat/Salt Treatment as not to kill the Loach (Loaches?). I have lost 4 Cherry Barb, 2 Harliquin Rasboras A Dward Neon Rainsbow, and my Red tailed shark in the treatment. Some body fungus had appeared...treated with Melafix

Flag Fish: Ordered 6 - 6 still alive...but also developed Ick!

Plants: were nice...now with Salt/Heat I am sure they will deteriorate

Hair Algae has now turned into a brownish slimy mess...and the Flag Fish won't even touch it.

My tank is a complete mess...I have lost a lot of livestock...with more to some I am sure. I will NEVER add any more fish without a a QT first

WC

success and failure

Sorry to hear about the problems. :( I got back today and all my fish look good. It has been exactly 2 weeks. However, I ordered only 4 fish (2 SAEs and 2 Zebra loaches). I'm gonna try thatpetplace and liveaquaria next. I'm in the market for Botia angelica.

Back
Top Bottom