Looking to purchase a new tank help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have a 10 gallon unplanted tank and a 1 gallon planted tank. I'm getting rid of the 1 gallon and will plant the 10 gallon. I'm also wanting another tank. I was thinking a 5 gallon and really liked the fluval spec! Has anybody used it if so what do you like and dislike about it? I want the tank to be planted and have shrimp and maybe 2 small fish. Which tanks do you guys reccomend? And which size tank should I get?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Never owned a Fluval tank but a lot of people over at planted tank have them. There is a whole "club" of Fluval nano tank owners over there. For shrimp a 5 gallon would be great. I am currently working on a 3 gallon jar tank for shrimp. I have seen anywhere from 1 gallon to 5 gallon shrimp only tanks and all have worked out well.

And where is the fluval "club" lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I got the fluval spec 5 gallon. Ordered it today

Sent from my iPhone

I visit both Aquarium Advice and Planted Tank dot net. Not sure about posting a link to the site here. They have a few more categories of tank interests. Maybe someone should start a nano tank club here?

Yup. I have two, but they're cruel to the fish, so there's not much lovin' for them here.

What size is a nano tank? I have a 10 gallon. And I ordered a 5 gallon. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411396309.948545.jpg. That's my 10 gallon. And you can see my one gallon through the other side that's the one I'm replacing with the 5 gallon. The one only has 3 shrimp and 1 tiny tiny fish

Sent from my iPhone

Excuse the jay :) I got super frustrated with my plants and couldn't get them in the ground so I through them in a jar and put them in my big tank;)

Sent from my iPhone

A nano tank is anywhere from 10 gallons down to 1 gallon. It also includes large glass jars. Most people use them for plants only or shrimp. There are a few nano fish that some keep in 5 gallon tanks. Some keep Betas in them too. I think a Beta needs at least 5 gallons myself. I have even seen 5 gallon saltwater tanks. Most do not keep fish in them though. Usually just shrimp, micro crabs, or dwarf crayfish.

They sure sell them for fish, but it don't work as advertised.

I'm a recovering nano addict btw. :D

There is someone on these forums that strongly emphasizes no tank under 30 gal. I don't know any of the facts behind his arguments but it is worth looking up. I should do the same. He claims the fish stunt their growth in smaller tanks because they need room to grow, and because of this, their organs continue to grow but their body doesnt.

I suppose I should do some research and see if this guy is true. But I thought i would pass it along.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've heard a variant of that, but it depends on the fish. Tetras, and livebearers for example, not so much. Goldfish, maybe. Gormais and perch, don't even think about it Buster!

Back
Top Bottom