Looking to put a 20 gallon long tank on a dresser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scoobydoo11693

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone know if this would work? There are no central supports, the top seems pretty strong though. I stood on it and it seemed fine, I weigh about 200 pounds. I haven't noticed anything sketchy while I was on it. Thanks!

Attachments

• mms_img788323319.jpg
    mms_img788323319.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
I have a 5 gallon tank, an Xbox, and a 32 inch tv on my dresser so I think it's possible.

A old time dresser like that is built strong and will handle a 20 fine. Dressers make great places for small tanks especially if they have a mirror that will be behind the tank. No need for a background. OS.

I think you'll be good, looks like a well-built desk. I just put a 26 gallon on an oak desk & I was worried at first:uhoh:
It turns out that my desk can handle a lot more weight than I put on it.

You may want to consider using an underlayment of some sort to protect your desk and ensure your tank is level. I used a yoga mat (cut to size) and it worked great! PM me if you want details, I got it on Amazon, and my thread is under "DIY Projects".
~WisChris

I have a 20g high on a dresser much older than that and its been fine for more than 4 years. Never had an issue.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

HI Wis,
Are you able to take a pic of the Yoga mat material? Sounds like a great thing to share.

Great idea OS.

Here it is under the tank:
yogamat.JPG
And here is a closeup:
closeup.JPG

I'm thrilled with how it worked out. Easy to cut to size, black color matches aquarium frame, corrects minor imperfections, and will protect your furniture.

They're 24" x 68" so can likely do two tanks with one of them ($15 on Amazon).
Amazon.com: Yoga Mat 1/8"x68" Thick High Density 10 Colors Non-Toxic PER Phthalate Free Clean PVC (TM) by Bean Products - Black: Sports & Outdoors

I'm gonna use the leftovers to line the bottom of the cabinet where my canister filter is going, may help to deaden sound/vibration.

Back
Top Bottom