Looks promising...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I seem to always catch my fish when they are up to something, this is no different.

What you will see in the following pics are Bolivians digging a pit for a possible spawning:

The possible parents
cichlids2006003.jpg

cichlids2006002.jpg

Busy at work:
cichlids2006001.jpg

cichlids2006005.jpg

I have my fingers crossed. :D

My parameters on my Bolivian tank is similar to Jchillins. No ammonia or nitrite. I keep my nitrates between 10-20ppm. And my phosphates are around 1.25ppm. My temp currently is 80.9, which is the low end, heater bumps it up to 81.5. My ph is 7.2, as I'm currently without CO2 injection on this tank, or I'd be injecting CO2 and the ph would be 6.4. And I'm lightly-to-moderately planted.

Hope this gives you an idea as to where Bolivians do best. You have both of our parameters, and temps as well. It's totally awsome watching.

Hey, Jchillin, is this their first spawn? Congrats if it all works out. :) Mine are on their 8th spawning. Got tons of wigglers, and some are now trying to get water-born, lol. And as for mommy, she is doing a fantastic job taking care of them. :)

My female GBR can't pick much up with her mouth, she uses it like a bulldozer and pushes the gravel up and out, lol. Should see the dust storm of Eco Complete behind here when she does it, lol.

Good luck jchillen, Hope they are good parents, for it's so cool to see them go throw the leave my area now stage. LOL

I could use a few Bolivians. Hope you get some fry (for me). LOL

Were there eggs in the pit, or did they just dig the pit and just abandon it? You will definitely know if there were eggs in it, the bolivians are pretty protective, and will push away any intruder. Could be that they just weren't quite ready yet, and just abandoned the pit. One thing I noticed is that they prefer laying eggs on a smooth flat surface, so if you had a small piece of granite or something flat and smooth, and bury it where the pit was and just leave a little exposed, they will uncover it and spawn there. Almost guaranteed. That's what they did in my 75G, on granite, then when I moved them to the 29G, I took another piece of granite and did the same thing. Within a day, they found it and had it completely cleaned off, ready for spawning.

And another thing I noticed in my tanks, once they spawn in one spot, they will continue to spawn there. Won't move locations. The only time they change locations is after the eggs hatch and you have wigglers, they will dig several new pits and keep moving them around to throw off any enemies that might have noticed them. Mine usually would move them in the evenings.

Back
Top Bottom