Losing algae battle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Liquid so far Jessi.....after I get it wiped out, I am going to go pressurized. Thanks again for all the good advice!

plecos come in lots of patterns and will keep your tank sparkling clean! They are miracle workers. Some people complain that they are messy, but I "vacuum every week anyway so it doesn't make any difference. No more scraping the glass! No mor s rubbing the decorations! No more replacing plastic plants!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

plecos come in lots of patterns and will keep your tank sparkling clean! They are miracle workers. Some people complain that they are messy, but I "vacuum every week anyway so it doesn't make any difference. No more scraping the glass! No mor s rubbing the decorations! No more replacing plastic plants!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Honestly, as much as I love my bristlenose pleco, I'd never recommend anyone get any pleco for the sole purpose of eating algae. Most common plecos don't really eat much algae, and most other species do a mediocre job on it. Plus, they don't eat all types of algae. Mine does a great job with the regular green algae, but neither him nor my farlowella or any snails eat the hair algae that popped up a little while back.

If you want a pleco, then get it because you want it. If you want something that will do a good job at eating algae, look into otocinclus catfish, siamese algae eaters, and/or shrimp. However, the best way to prevent algae is to balance the light/co2/nutrient sufficiently (something I'm still not doing) for a planted tank, and for non-planted reduce and/or break up the lighting cycle.

Back
Top Bottom