Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Angry Losing algae battle

Guys and gals...PLEASE give me some good advice on how to get rid of algae growing in my tank. It started with red hair on my driftwood and quickly spread. Got rid of the wood, drained and restarted my tank. It cycled for a long time, then added fish back. 20 neons, 5 juli cats, 4 powder blue dwarf gouramis and 2 flying foxes in a nicely planted tank with new driftwood. Water is good, not over feeding, great filtration with a UV sterilizer. Only lighting 5 to 7 hours a day. 55 gal. Algae is back! The green stuff now! Constantly scrapping glass, cleaning heater and scrubbing my AQ 110 to get the crap off. WHAT can I do?
Any good recommendations on algae eating tankmates? Good snail? Good pleco? ANY help would be appreciated.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

What kind of lighting are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-15-2016, 04:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you don't have any plants, or just a couple, float some guppy grass in there. Should absorb all those extra nutrients and filter the light, which should (slowly) kill off the algae. Only thing I can think of.

If you have a decently planted tank, you may need to add co2 to help them absord the nutrients verses the algae.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Marineland double brights....
Old 02-15-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a pretty good planted tank. I have never used C02 before. How would I go about it?
Old 02-15-2016, 05:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfins View Post
I have a pretty good planted tank. I have never used C02 before. How would I go about it?

Start with liquid carbon first. It will be less costly and if you see an improvement using it you can attribute the algae to lack of carbon which in most cases it is then you can decide which direction you want to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-16-2016, 09:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, liquid first to see if it helps would be good, but be careful...some plants may not like liquid dosing. It melted my banana plant when I first used it, but once I added it to the filter outlet instead, that helped. Now, I'm using a DIY co2 with 2 liter bottles according to this:
https://youtu.be/1JzvfHO31Ug

It costs about $30 at start-up, and about $2/month to run. It's easy, cheap, rather reliable, and has done wonders for my plants! However, it does require weekly maintenance. If you find that it's helping enough to warrant buying an actual pressurized co2 kit, like I will be doing soon, you can find some decent ones on ebay for anywhere between $150-$500 depending on what you want to spend.

Good luck!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Jessi...I was thinking about to a C02 kit. I'm new at that concept so I don't wanna get a complicated set up. I'm trying liquid first just to see if it does help. Are the C02 kits hard to set up? Maintenance isn't an issue as my tank takes a good weekly maintaining to keep it healthy....minus the **** algae of course...lol
Old 02-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol I honestly don't know as I've never had one. I'll be ordering one soon though since it really seems to be helping my plants and reducing the hair algae that was growing in my tank. I'd recommend starting with liquid first, see if it helps, then maybe go for the diy in the video I linked or just get a kit. Once the kit is initially setup, all you have to do is get the co2 tank filled whenever it runs out (or have a backup tank on hand). As for initial setup, they usually have instructions to thoroughly explain and show how to do it. Plus, there's tons of videos available to explain it too.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good deal...thank you for the help and advice! Liquid is already underway.

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com