Losing the BBA battle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daniel158

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Around January 4 months after my tank had been set up I started to get BBA, over time the amount increased, I have tried everything my LFS has suggested and they're out of ideas, I've tried C02 (liquid) reducing the lights to 6-8 hours/day, feeding less and phosguard, nothing has worked. The tank is 60l has 8 plants in it that grow well, 14 occupents (9 danios 5 white cloud minnows), I do 30% weekly water changes and treat with prime. The phosguard does seem to have worked a little, the bba doesn't grow back as quick but I am using double the recommended amount.
Is their anything anyone can suggest that I haven't tried?

Hydrogen peroxide dosing. No more than 1mL per gallon to start out. Just take a small syringe (ease and accuracy knowing how much you are dosing) and spray it onto the BBA. This is the method I'm using to try and keep it gone.

Disclaimer: do NOT use this method of you have Invertabrates in the tank. It can be fatal to them. If you have some, use a different method or remove them from the tank until treatment is completed.

I had the "perfect storm" to cause BBA outbreak.

I wasn't just losing ...... I lost due to multiple causes. Threw out filter and plastic plants and started over. Watch out for sunlight through windows affecting your tank.

You might want to check out this thread including my post #7 from 2014.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/bba-problem-311191.html

You don't mention your nitrate level. It could be higher than you think.

I have poor quality tap water with high phosphates. Updated formula is a "blend" of 60% tap + 20% RO (Culligan filtered water @27 cents per gallon) and 20% bottled spring water @88 cents per gallon. I cut lighting to 5 hours a day. I also use Seachem Purigen in lieu of carbon as it helps control nitrates and other impurities.

My water in both tanks is now crystal clear and polished without a trace of any kind of algae in almot four years.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/82012-albums13036-picture64925.html

I wasn't just losing ...... I lost due to multiple causes. Threw out filter and plastic plants and started over. Watch out for sunlight through windows affecting your tank.

You might want to check out this thread including my post #7 from 2014.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/bba-problem-311191.html

You don't mention your nitrate level. It could be higher than you think.

I have poor quality tap water with high phosphates. Updated formula is a "blend" of 60% tap + 20% RO (Culligan filtered water @27 cents per gallon) and 20% bottled spring water @88 cents per gallon. I cut lighting to 5 hours a day. I also use Seachem Purigen in lieu of carbon as it helps control nitrates and other impurities.

My water in both tanks is now crystal clear and polished without a trace of any kind of algae in almot four years.

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Paul1792's Album: Paul1792's 38 gallon - Picture

Im not too sure about putting peroxide in.

Nitrate is 10ppm, I use purigen too, and completely changed tank a few months back, I think Ill have to try your water mix method. Nice tank :)

Peroxide is perfectly safe to use, and effective if you keep it up.
Too bad your tank is maxed out...the best way to get rid of BBA and keep it away in my experience is a couple of true Siamese algae eaters.

Hydrogen peroxide dosing. No more than 1mL per gallon to start out. Just take a small syringe (ease and accuracy knowing how much you are dosing) and spray it onto the BBA. This is the method I'm using to try and keep it gone.

Disclaimer: do NOT use this method of you have Invertabrates in the tank. It can be fatal to them. If you have some, use a different method or remove them from the tank until treatment is completed.

Awesome advice. I lost snails and shrimp because I did not know this.

Back
Top Bottom