Lost 2 fish today, don't know why.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joker741

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I lost a gold white cloud mountain fish and a rummy nose tetra and I can't figure out why. The last water change was done 2 days ago. Just tested the water and Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 5, pH - 7.0.

Current Stock: 5 Gold White Cloud Mountain Fish, 1 Glo Fish, 3 Black Neon Tetra, 5 Rummy Nose Tetra, 3 Tiger Barb, 3 Green Tiger Barb, 3 Albino Tiger Barb, 2 Dwarf Gourami, 4 Pristella Tetra, 1 Black Skirt Tetra, 1 Panda Cory, 4 Nerite Zebra Snails

Now 4 Gold White Cloud Mountain Fish and 4 Rummy Nose Tetra.

Any ideas?

What is your temp? If I am not mistaken I think the white clouds like cooler water temps than rummy's. How long ago did you get the fish that died? Had they been eating? Are you using a water conditioner with your water change? How big is the tank?
It is possible your tiger barbs are harassing their tank mates....

Temp is 78. The fish that died were just over a year old. I haven't watched to see if they were eating, didn't know they were ill. Yes, I use Prime when I change the water. My tank is 90 Gallons. The barbs only go after the new fish I add and have never gone after anything other then my Panda Corys actually. 2 of the Corys died (I believe from stress) and the barbs lost interest in the third after 2 days and it is doing well.

Well a 90 is plenty of room for those small fish. It might just be one of those mysterious things. Sometimes it happens. The city might have done something that caused a significant change in mineral content or something and those fish were just more susceptible. I have also had unexplained deaths that I could not figure out. Sorry for your losses. Hopefully it will be an isolated incident.

Actually, what conditions were the bodies? any red pigment to them that wasnt there when they were alive over the year?

I just lost 20+ fish to septicemia in 48 hours. Ive got it under control but it was like one minute they were fine, come home for lunch and they were dead, get ready to go to bed, they are alive and well, wake up in the night and check and find dead. They nearly get fat instantly and die within hours to minutes, cant do anything but medicate the entire tank.

How much of a WC did you do? stress is a major factor too, I cant even move my mag-float without my biggest angel flipping sideways and burying itself in the sand, let alone the other fish doing their duck and move swims.

No, they looked perfect. I would have thought the rummy was still alive except it was upside down. The face was still as red as it was when it was alive and the rest of the body was perfect.

The magnet doesn't bother them at all. I do 20 gallon changes, so just over 20% every other week. That is what I have always done for maintence. It is just frustrating, makes me feel like I don't know what I am doing.

Back
Top Bottom