Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lost almost all my fish

Due to Hurricane Sandy, I have been without any power since a week ago this past Sunday. My tank went from 75 degrees down to 48 due to no heat in the house. Of all my fish the only 2 survivors were the blue crayfish (which molted the other day, I thought I'd lost him too) and one lone zebra danio. I just had power restored tonight and the tank is slowly coming up to a normal temp.
I'm heartbroken about the fish but on the other hand people have lost their lives and homes so I guess I can count my blessings where I have only lost fish and spent over a week with no lights or heat.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKC
Due to Hurricane Sandy, I have been without any power since a week ago this past Sunday. My tank went from 75 degrees down to 48 due to no heat in the house. Of all my fish the only 2 survivors were the blue crayfish (which molted the other day, I thought I'd lost him too) and one lone zebra danio. I just had power restored tonight and the tank is slowly coming up to a normal temp.
I'm heartbroken about the fish but on the other hand people have lost their lives and homes so I guess I can count my blessings where I have only lost fish and spent over a week with no lights or heat.
Sorry for your losses & you are correct it could've much worse. Hope things get back to normal for y'all soon.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
First and foremost, it's good to see you were somewhat fortunate and didn't lose your home. If I were you, I would not get another zebra danio of the same type. Say he is a regular zebra danio, I would get some gold ones. This way you will still have a school and he'll still have friends, but you'll always remember how he made it and I'm sure he'll hold a special place in your heart as you recover from the damage.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

First, thanks for the kind words and well wishes. Secondly, I don't think I will get any more fish. I think I will keep this as a species tank for the blue crayfish and just keep the danio in there as a good luck charm.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
First, thanks for the kind words and well wishes. Secondly, I don't think I will get any more fish. I think I will keep this as a species tank for the blue crayfish and just keep the danio in there as a good luck charm.
Well it might work but bear in mind that zebras are schooling fish.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

True, well I have a friend with zebras, I will see if he wants to add him to his tank.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
True, well I have a friend with zebras, I will see if he wants to add him to his tank.
I'd keep him but that's just me.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have one danio in my 36gal, and he does just fine, stealing food from the swordies and platies.

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com