Lost Loach to Air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Title probably makes no sense but just found a 4 inch yo yo loach which must of jumped out a gap in the Perspex tank cover. I've cut a triangle the size of my hand off the Perspex sheet edge so I can take that out and feed the fish. Must of jumped out that and onto floor. Survived ich, cotton mouth and dodgy fish keeper to be healthy as. Bit of a shame to go like that :( :( :(

Sorry dela, that's a tough one.. Atleast he went out with a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee;)

Hey, Dela, your yo-yo & my false julii were friends and your yo-yo texted her right b4 he jumped and told her it was a lot of fun. So, I found my false julii on the counter top this morning. Hope, she didn't text anyone else...

Ive had this happen also(my Beagle/Boston terrier mix brought him to me though...). They live in high current rivers and strems in the wild, and a hob filter replicates this too well I guess! Ive read they actually enjoy swimming against the current, and their little stout muscular bodies are perfect for propelling them right on up and out of the tank!

Oops! The weird stuff fish do!

Ungrateful lot.

I never thought about it much but guess there would be a fair bit of muscle in them and the water level is pretty close to top.

Oh dear - found a second one behind the tank.

I'm wondering if they got used to the auto feeder while we were away and started jumping or something.

Most types of loaches are known for jumping ship. I've lost a few over the years even in tanks that had lids. Unfortunately it happens.

Thanks, I was looking at the cover thinking how the heck but it would be typical loach behaviour to go out with a bang.

Will look at replacing, one of the two left is a bit anti-social and I mainly see at feeding time.

I don't know about your tank cover, but I have read a couple of times about people cutting up plastic milk cartons to block the jumpers from getting out.

I don't know about your tank cover, but I have read a couple of times about people cutting up plastic milk cartons to block the jumpers from getting out.

They should be in the circus :) yeah, got to take another look at this.

I have the centre glass strip and then Perspex covers either side to stop evaporation. The hood sits on top so I have cut little squares for the pipes to go through at the back of the Perspex and a triangle at the front about hand sized so I can take out and feed.

The water level is within an inch or so and I've had a rasbora get out when water level was lower but I still reckon it's incredible they have launched straight up and onto the Perspex. Then they must bounce to the glass lip which is another inch, get over that and onto the floor. I'd admire the dedication if it wasn't so crazy.

Picked up 3 new ones. Busy settling into the QT for a bit.

Also got some duckweed to try which was pretty cheap. I know it's meant to grow quick but my track record at killing plants is so good I'm hoping for a balance :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399177574.689747.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399177658.278607.jpg

Not sure how good these are. First one is loach from shop.

Second one is bn catfish in front of rosy barbs.

Back
Top Bottom