Lost my betta :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkmuller

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had my betta put down so she didn't suffer. I need to disinfect my tank but don't want to use bleach. One outside advise was to toss my 5.5 gal tank and start new. I am not sure how she got droopsy I took good care of her. Any suggestions on my tank I would like go try another Betta once the tank cycles awhile without a fish.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Vinegar soak should work 2 parts vinegar to 1 part water and let it soak for 1 hour than rinse very well. Sorry for your loss

5 gallon Betta Tank
In Progress 20L Reef

The bacteria that causes dropsy exists in nearly every aquarium out there. It really only becomes a problem when there is some stressor on the fish most notably poor water parameters.

How did the parameters run in the tank?
How often did you do water changes?

As for disinfecting the tank.. Bleach is your best bet. You could also boil any decor or gravel to clean it as well.

Just use Prime when you rinse the bleach to dechlorinate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry about your fishy friend. I get attached to my bettas more so than the other fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I checked my water and was fine plus I did weekly half water changes. Now I feel bad I might of done something but don't know what to have her die.

Maybe I should stay fish less . I always checked my water so now I think it is me somewhere this upsets me.

I checked my water and was fine plus I did weekly half water changes. Now I feel bad I might of done something but don't know what to have her die.

What do you define as "fine" It's a very subjective descriptor. One person's fine is usually quite a bit different from another person's

Maybe I should stay fish less . I always checked my water so now I think it is me somewhere this upsets me.

I thought the same thing when I was losing a lot of fish from columnaris. Just keep at it, things turn around eventually.

Listen my levels are all tested and logged in. My nitrates were OK along with pH ammonia etc. Those were watched all times

Listen my levels are all tested and logged in. My nitrates were OK along with pH ammonia etc. Those were watched all times

Sorry to offend you, I was just pointing out that saying "fine" is useless. Just give actual numbers and it will give us a better picture of your tank. But if you don't want to tell us; then hey, that's fine with me.

I was upset over this so I should of given the stats . Sorry.

Put some vinegar in it. I know its hard but the betta will always remain in your heart!! I lost two bettas already. And also I am going to lose one any day now, he lived through his life span. He is now 8 years old. Its hard to lose a pet, I hadto get a guinea pig put to sleep. Just time heals. And don't remain fishless! Your betta would want any other fish to get the love you gave him/her! Also, fish at fish stores are miserable! Consider getting one that looks nothing like your betta or get one thats a different species. Or get a whole other species of fish! Hope this helped! And remember time heals. Vinegar can disinfect it, just rinse it out really good. And if there are some water stains (at the top) get some non-iodized salt and a wet paper towel and it should scrape the water stains off! Hope this helped!!!!!
Sorry for your loss!

Back
Top Bottom