Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Btw this is my tank so thats why I think they would go good with the theme I have going.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120615_135518.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	100606

Old 06-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I bought him for $8 at PetSmart. I don't usually buy fish there but I do buy some supplies and plants - it was an impulse buy.

I know that my other loaches (Lochata and Zebra) like to have company in pairs but I've only ever had one Dojo at a time. That's a good question, let me know if you find out.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter4158098 View Post
Btw this is my tank so thats why I think they would go good with the theme I have going.

Attachment 100606
Sweet! yeah, that creamsicle Dojo color will stand out on that black gravel. Have you cycled it yet?

May want to consider a few taller plants - I find the more "safe" places fish have the more they come out and are comfortable.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatopia

Sweet! yeah, that creamsicle Dojo color will stand out on that black gravel. Have you cycled it yet?

May want to consider a few taller plants - I find the more "safe" places fish have the more they come out and are comfortable.
Yes I have cycled it. As far as taller plants. Just more? Or taler?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #15

plants

Quote:
Taller is relative to where you more skittish fish are going to be. For example. Pentazona will be rather shy until they get comfortable and hang out low to mid-level. If you have plants for them to relax in they'll gain confidence (assuming you have at least 5) and come out in the open regularly.

My Angels and Cherry Barbs hang out midlevel so they'd want taller plants than what you have.

Perhaps in the corners you have a small copse of taller plants so as to not upset the symmetry of your aqua-scaping composition.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #16

Quote:
I've attached a pic of my 45ga; not a stylish as yours but you can see most of my fish are lower to mid level dwellers and have plenty of safe places.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-18_13-12-37_800.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	101329  
Old 06-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:

Taller is relative to where you more skittish fish are going to be. For example. Pentazona will be rather shy until they get comfortable and hang out low to mid-level. If you have plants for them to relax in they'll gain confidence (assuming you have at least 5) and come out in the open regularly.

My Angels and Cherry Barbs hang out midlevel so they'd want taller plants than what you have.

Perhaps in the corners you have a small copse of taller plants so as to not upset the symmetry of your aqua-scaping composition.
Quote:

I've attached a pic of my 45ga; not a stylish as yours but you can see most of my fish are lower to mid level dwellers and have plenty of safe places.
Hey thanks for the compliment on my tank. Yours looks great as well. It took me awhile at the pet store swapping decorations in and out off a 55 till I came up with what I liked. Honestly I want to get another house and another budaha. So that there are one of each on the sides lol. And as far as taller plants, I have been trying to find some that match the ones I have now so that I can put them in the corners to help hide the air tubes for the bubble bars. You said you have angel fish. What kind? I have 5 serpae 5 black skirts 5 yellow pristilas 5 blood fins all tetras. I really want to get two angel fish so I can name them after my parents who passed away 5 years ago. And keep being told no that my tank is to small or that if I got barbs that they would beat them up so I went with the tetras. And I still meed to get a pleco and am still really thinking of getting at least one do jo loach. But I have gravel not sand and fake plants not real ones. Have heard I have to have sand and live plants.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #18

I have two Angels in one of my 25ga tanks; they're silver with black points, kinda Siamese looking. I'll have to take a pic tonight for you. They are still pretty young - about 2". Once they get a bit bigger I'll move them to the 45ga tank.

They currently share the tank with 4 Penguin Tetra, 4 Black Neon Tetra, 4 Rummynose Tetra, a Scissortail Tetra (I have no idea where he came from), 4 Longfin Cherry Barbs, 2 Gold Barbs, 2 Longfin Rosy Barbs, , a female Beta, a runt DoJo Loach, 3 Panda Cory, 2 Lohachata Loaches, and a Jaguar (Synodontis) Catfish (which I'm moving to my 45ga tank soon).

I know, I know, way over-crowded. I'm not intending for the Angels to be there very long and the catfish is ready to graduate now. I also do a 1/5 water exchange every 10 days.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #19

And I still meed to get a pleco and am still really thinking of getting at least one do jo loach. But I have gravel not sand and fake plants not real ones. Have heard I have to have sand and live plants.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if your black gravel has sharp edges, but the gravel I have is rounded and smooth. My Dojo Loaches do nose around in the gravel occasionally.

I'm just now starting to get into live plants. Starting out with putting them in my Endler and shrimp tanks (I have three 6ga Edge tanks), so I'm no expert there.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #20

You said you have angel fish. What kind? I really want to get two angel fish so I can name them after my parents who passed away 5 years ago. And keep being told no that my tank is to small or that if I got barbs that they would beat them up so I went with the tetras.

That's very sweet to name Angels after you parents. Angel fish do get pretty big but that takes a few years. I used to have a large one in my 45ga that grew from 1" to 4" but it died of ick. I lost about 80% of my tank to ick one holiday season because the tank is at the office and by the time everyone got back from Christmas break it was too late.

I would stay away from Tiger Barbs in general for a community tank but Pentazona Barbs are fine (they look the same except for the number of stripes). Pentazona need to be in a school of at least 5; 8 is better.

Gold Barbs are hogs and bully when in numbers greater than 2. Cherry Barbs are fine. Rosy Barbs can be aggressive if alone; in a pair they tend to chase each other instead of others.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com