Lost my oldest fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquatopia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
the first fish I bought when I started the hobby 6 years ago died. It was a Dojo Loach. I don't know if 6-7 years is old for a Dojo but the only signs it was ill was that it had cloudy eyes for the last few weeks. Bummed.

Hey sorry to hear about your dojo. I am interested in maybe getting one or two. Hear they have to have sand? I have small gravel in my tank. Also what size of tank do you have him in? I have a 55 gallon. To small a tank?

Skeeter4158098 said:
Hey sorry to hear about your dojo. I am interested in maybe getting one or two. Hear they have to have sand? I have small gravel in my tank. Also what size of tank do you have him in? I have a 55 gallon. To small a tank?

He was in a 45ga with gravel. I also have two others each in a 25ga community tank with gravel. One must be a runt, it has not grown past 2 inches; otherwise they get up to 5-7"

Aquatopia said:
He was in a 45ga with gravel. I also have two others each in a 25ga community tank with gravel. One must be a runt, it has not grown past 2 inches; otherwise they get up to 5-7"

They could of been stunted :(

Its only one that's a runt. I got them at the same time, although they are each in a separate 25ga community tank one is about 5" and the other is 2". I'm thinking of breeding that one to see if I can develop a pygmy version of the Dojo. That would be nice in my Endler tanks (6ga Edge tanks)

Aquatopia said:

Samzter said:
They could of been stunted :(

Aquatopia said:
Its only one that's a runt. I got them at the same time, although they are each in a separate 25ga community tank one is about 5" and the other is 2". I'm thinking of breeding that one to see if I can develop a pygmy version of the Dojo. That would be nice in my Endler tanks (6ga Edge tanks)

So you had gravel in your tank? So they are fine with gravel? I have read that they have to have sand? Also what other fish did you have? I have as of so far

5 serpae tetra
5 black fin tetra
5 yellow pristila tetra.
Would they be ok in with them?

I had the one for 6 years and the other two for 3 years. All my tanks have that tan pea gravel like found in a stream - its smooth and rounded. They are totally non-aggressive so they should be fine with the tetras you listed I have the serpae and black long fin tetra too. Dojo are very active, to the point of spastic at times so that can stress some fish if you don't have them in a big enough tank.

For example: they will lounge across a hose or plant when napping in such away some might think they are dead but if you wake them they'll fly around the tank startled. Watching them play in bubbles might be disconcerting too if you didn't know their nature is so goofy.

Sorry to hear this. Time to get a new finned friend:)

I got a new one today, a baby - not even an inch long. He's too small to replace the old-timer in my 45ga (crawdaddy would likely get him) so he'll have to start in one of my Endler tanks (6ga).

Aquatopia said:
I got a new one today, a baby - not even an inch long. He's too small to replace the old-timer in my 45ga (crawdaddy would likely get him) so he'll have to start in one of my Endler tanks (6ga).

Did you have to order him? On average how much do they run? (Price) and do they have to be in more then one ir can you just have a single one in?

I bought him for $8 at PetSmart. I don't usually buy fish there but I do buy some supplies and plants - it was an impulse buy.

I know that my other loaches (Lochata and Zebra) like to have company in pairs but I've only ever had one Dojo at a time. That's a good question, let me know if you find out.

Btw this is my tank so thats why I think they would go good with the theme I have going.

View attachment 100606

Sweet! yeah, that creamsicle Dojo color will stand out on that black gravel. Have you cycled it yet?

May want to consider a few taller plants - I find the more "safe" places fish have the more they come out and are comfortable.

Aquatopia said:
Sweet! yeah, that creamsicle Dojo color will stand out on that black gravel. Have you cycled it yet?

May want to consider a few taller plants - I find the more "safe" places fish have the more they come out and are comfortable.

Yes I have cycled it. As far as taller plants. Just more? Or taler?

plants

Taller is relative to where you more skittish fish are going to be. For example. Pentazona will be rather shy until they get comfortable and hang out low to mid-level. If you have plants for them to relax in they'll gain confidence (assuming you have at least 5) and come out in the open regularly.

My Angels and Cherry Barbs hang out midlevel so they'd want taller plants than what you have.

Perhaps in the corners you have a small copse of taller plants so as to not upset the symmetry of your aqua-scaping composition. (y)

I've attached a pic of my 45ga; not a stylish as yours but you can see most of my fish are lower to mid level dwellers and have plenty of safe places.

Attachments

• 2012-06-18_13-12-37_800.jpg
    2012-06-18_13-12-37_800.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 117
Aquatopia said:
Taller is relative to where you more skittish fish are going to be. For example. Pentazona will be rather shy until they get comfortable and hang out low to mid-level. If you have plants for them to relax in they'll gain confidence (assuming you have at least 5) and come out in the open regularly.

My Angels and Cherry Barbs hang out midlevel so they'd want taller plants than what you have.

Perhaps in the corners you have a small copse of taller plants so as to not upset the symmetry of your aqua-scaping composition. (y)

Aquatopia said:
I've attached a pic of my 45ga; not a stylish as yours but you can see most of my fish are lower to mid level dwellers and have plenty of safe places.

Hey thanks for the compliment on my tank. Yours looks great as well. It took me awhile at the pet store swapping decorations in and out off a 55 till I came up with what I liked. Honestly I want to get another house and another budaha. So that there are one of each on the sides lol. And as far as taller plants, I have been trying to find some that match the ones I have now so that I can put them in the corners to help hide the air tubes for the bubble bars. You said you have angel fish. What kind? I have 5 serpae 5 black skirts 5 yellow pristilas 5 blood fins all tetras. I really want to get two angel fish so I can name them after my parents who passed away 5 years ago. And keep being told no that my tank is to small or that if I got barbs that they would beat them up so I went with the tetras. And I still meed to get a pleco and am still really thinking of getting at least one do jo loach. But I have gravel not sand and fake plants not real ones. Have heard I have to have sand and live plants.

I have two Angels in one of my 25ga tanks; they're silver with black points, kinda Siamese looking. I'll have to take a pic tonight for you. They are still pretty young - about 2". Once they get a bit bigger I'll move them to the 45ga tank.

They currently share the tank with 4 Penguin Tetra, 4 Black Neon Tetra, 4 Rummynose Tetra, a Scissortail Tetra (I have no idea where he came from), 4 Longfin Cherry Barbs, 2 Gold Barbs, 2 Longfin Rosy Barbs, , a female Beta, a runt DoJo Loach, 3 Panda Cory, 2 Lohachata Loaches, and a Jaguar (Synodontis) Catfish (which I'm moving to my 45ga tank soon).

I know, I know, way over-crowded. I'm not intending for the Angels to be there very long and the catfish is ready to graduate now. I also do a 1/5 water exchange every 10 days.

And I still meed to get a pleco and am still really thinking of getting at least one do jo loach. But I have gravel not sand and fake plants not real ones. Have heard I have to have sand and live plants.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if your black gravel has sharp edges, but the gravel I have is rounded and smooth. My Dojo Loaches do nose around in the gravel occasionally.

I'm just now starting to get into live plants. Starting out with putting them in my Endler and shrimp tanks (I have three 6ga Edge tanks), so I'm no expert there.

You said you have angel fish. What kind? I really want to get two angel fish so I can name them after my parents who passed away 5 years ago. And keep being told no that my tank is to small or that if I got barbs that they would beat them up so I went with the tetras.

That's very sweet to name Angels after you parents. Angel fish do get pretty big but that takes a few years. I used to have a large one in my 45ga that grew from 1" to 4" but it died of ick. I lost about 80% of my tank to ick one holiday season because the tank is at the office and by the time everyone got back from Christmas break it was too late.

I would stay away from Tiger Barbs in general for a community tank but Pentazona Barbs are fine (they look the same except for the number of stripes). Pentazona need to be in a school of at least 5; 8 is better.

Gold Barbs are hogs and bully when in numbers greater than 2. Cherry Barbs are fine. Rosy Barbs can be aggressive if alone; in a pair they tend to chase each other instead of others.

Back
Top Bottom