lost power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1972ford

Aquarium Advice Activist
been about 5 hours so far what do i need to do with the aquariums

Do not feed!!
Make sure to unplug filters and if possible take out filter media

And I've heard to move the water around every hour.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

power still out no lights for miles all retail stores closed cant get a power inverter or battery powered areator. been scooping cupfuls of water from the tank and pouring into the back of my filters but need to sleep soon also been just pouring water straight back into the tank for the bubbles about to put a little hole in the bottoms of a big gulp cup to let water drip slowly ibto the aquariums to break surface tension for when i go to sleep no idea how long they will last

If your house can maintain a steady temp and you can keep some surface agitation they should be alright.

Mine went out for 6 hours this winter. I wrapped my tanks in towels and blankets. I also used the cup method.

My 45 gallon dropped maybe 1-2 degrees. 75 gallon didn't drop at all.
As long as your house stays reletively warm I wouldn't worry about temperature. Someone suggested to me to heat up some water like close to boiling then put it in a water bottle and let it float in the tank. Like a floating heater.

After that incident I immediately bought a battery powered air pump.

I lost no fish they were all fine.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

i bought a power inverter about an hour ago but its not enough to power the heaters i can can run the filters on my 200 gallon tank and my cichlid 55 tank at the same time figure ill swap the powr to other tanks every hour or so I just hope my bacteria is holding up. Ive been pouring wather from the tank through the filters every hour or so once it was about 4 hours i needed sleep. Im also just scooping out water and pouring it back into the tank from about 18 inches above the surface

also the temp has dropped in my tanks even the 200 gallon about 8 degrees in the 15 hours weve been without power. i hoojed one of the 300 watt heaters to allow it to slowly reheat once we do finally get power. Electric company says we may be without power for 4 days so ill let you guys know how things are going. no way to heat the tank electric stove and water heater. thinking about letting lots of sunlight in to help heat the house

Good luck!! Wish we could be of more help.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

24 hours no power now using power inverter did 1.5 to 2 hour run on all the tanks starting back with the first tank. went to fill up my car so im good on gas. electric company now saying it might be monday and are not gonna charge me anything on my electric bill this month yay. fish are all doing good ive taken the time to do extra water changes on all the tanks as well as filter maintenance. cant run the heaters letting the sun on to heat and light the tanks.

on a brighter note my moss wall i started the other day will probably really enjoy all the light

still no pwwr tanks are reading decent rotating the inverter every hour or 2 to different takes got lots of airline and sponges going on all tanks with my big air pump. just used my filter intake sponges to craft sponge filters. so far no problems with algea think my 20+" pleco may have sonething to do with it in the big tank. the rubberlips i got in the rest of the aquariums are keeping up. Ill make sure to leave the lights out for a day or 2 when the power comes back on

power just came back on 4.5 days with no power. no fish losses tanks got hot earlier today 86+ they are still cooling down slowly. I highly recommend having a power inverter or generator after this experience. A 140 inverter will run 2 405s and 2 penguin 350s as well as the big top fin aerator with 4 outputs give you guys another update on the fish in a few days

Back
Top Bottom