Lost two zebra danios- water test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I came home this morning(I work nights) and the two zebras in the pics are gone and now my pink kissing gourami won't move his tail and it's all chewed up and nasty looking. It has turned yellow right at the base of the tail fin! Is this fin rot or what. He won't move his tail at all like it has a splint or something on it. Pic:

Attachments

• image-1094024431.jpg
    image-1094024431.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 49
  • image-3408879959.jpg
    image-3408879959.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 48
  • image-1066396854.jpg
    image-1066396854.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 56
i would guess the skirts bullied it and it got infected. i would really suggest either filling out your black skirt school or finding another place for them...

blackmolly said:
i would guess the skirts bullied it and it got infected. i would really suggest either filling out your black skirt school or finding another place for them...

+1 please listen to what we are saying! The skirts have to go if you are not willing to fill out the school. If the gouramis tail gets infected you will need antibiotics.

I won't be able to get any skirts for a couple more days. Should I take them out and put them in something for a few days? I don't want to totally get rid of them?

Hoagie777 said:
I won't be able to get any skirts for a couple more days. Should I take them out and put them in something for a few days? I don't want to totally get rid of them?

Have you got a QT and spare filter and heater? If not you'll have to leave them in the tank. Try adding some more decor and plants if you have some spare. It might make them feel more comfortable if they have more hiding places. Keep your water as clean you can with extra PWC to help your other fish grow their tails back and avoid infection.

Definitely with Mumma, add more hiding places if you can. Pristine water is paramount if the fish is to recover from the fin nipping.

I have my old 10g with a filter but no heater. Fill it with some 55g water and put them it that for a couple days?

Hoagie777 said:
I have my old 10g with a filter but no heater. Fill it with some 55g water and put them it that for a couple days?

That sounds ok if you can keep the temperature warm and stable. Move some of your 55s filter media over too. Keep an eye on the parameters and make sure there is no ammonia build up.

Ok. Thanks for everybody's help! What antibiotic should I use? And, what makes the skirts calm down by adding more? All else equal, it just looks like I would be adding more fin nippers to my tank...?

Hoagie777 said:
Ok. Thanks for everybody's help! What antibiotic should I use? And, what makes the skirts calm down by adding more? All else equal, it just looks like I would be adding more fin nippers to my tank...dde03

Hold of on any medication to begin with see if clean water alone works.
They feel safer/more secure in larger groups. So if in a small group they feel the need to protect themselves.

if it's infected i'd try melafix first. if the skirts are in a proper school, they will concentrate on spreading out the aggression between themselves, but they will also feel safer and not have such a fight or flight reaction. i have black skirts as well... they nearly killed each other when i only had three. then i upgraded and have 6, and they still nip each other, but they do minor damage and leave other fish out of the equation.

I had skirts and I lost 6 cardinal and 3 neon tetras to the piranha Like buggers. Never would I recommend them to anyone, I prefer the rummynoses to the skirts

Sorry it took so long for the update, but I added 4 more skirts for a total of 7. All is well for now. Everyone in the tank is getting along now except for the gourami occasionally running one of the jewels, but he is too fat to chase more than a couple if seconds...?

Gouramis can get a little aggressive at times, especially if another fish is invading their territory. Very glad to hear everything is going well!

Back
Top Bottom