Lots Of Questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishLover14

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay i have a lot of questions about stuff.

Would it be too much filtration on a tank with A Penguin Mini and an Emporewr 280- on a 29gal tank.

Can u put too much oxygen into your water like buy an air pump rated for a 100gal tank? Would it hurt the fish?

Is it safe to keep Electric Yellows at temps between 78-81?

Will a filter suck up fry and kill them?

I picked up a bunch of rocks and washed them really really well and let them sit in the sun for a few days would they be ok in a tank they are big rocks some weigh 5lbs each?

TIA

Some people believe that you can never have too much filtration on a tank. The issue may come into play with how much water movement you are getting from that filtration ... ie: is there too much water current moving/pushing your fish around.

if you have a strong filter, it is possible for it to suck up the fry. Try fitting a sponge or nylons or something else of the sort over the intake to prevent your fish from getting sucked up.

Would it be too much filtration on a tank with A Penguin Mini and an Emporewr 280- on a 29gal tank.
It will probably be fine.
Can u put too much oxygen into your water like buy an air pump rated for a 100gal tank? Would it hurt the fish?
It won't do anything. The air bubbles do not dissolve in the water, they will only increase the surface agitation.
Is it safe to keep Electric Yellows at temps between 78-81?
Yes
Will a filter suck up fry and kill them?
Yes. Place an AquaClear mini sponge on the filter intake tube by cutting an "X" in the sponge.
I picked up a bunch of rocks and washed them really really well and let them sit in the sun for a few days would they be ok in a tank they are big rocks some weigh 5lbs each?
They should be fine. Do you know what type of rocks you have?

No they are just rocks lying around our place they ae very hard and difeert colors some of them sparkle thouhgh-

Thanks everyone!

No they are just rocks lying around our place they ae very hard and difeert colors some of them sparkle thouhgh-
You should test them to make sure they will not effect the water chemistry.

I found alot of rocks on some hikes and from the parents rock garden (sorry mom), I found a site that suggested boiling the rocks for several minutes (I boiled them for a good 30 minutes apiece). I then put these into the tank and have not had any problems with them.

However, as always, certain types of rocks can add certain chemicals to the water... a rock heavy in iron content will get a rusty colour in the water and may alter your chemistry.

I've also heard of people who put rocks they found by a river/moms garden/in narnia/etc into their tanks and the tanks clouded up and water changes/etc would not help, they had to dismantle the entire tank.

That makes me worry....It reallly does but i guess i will go ahead and do it as planned and if they affect the water chemistry then.....

Thanks everyone!

I have heard that you can pour vinegar on your rocks to test them. If it fizzes, don't use it; if it doesn't, it's ok. I have also heard that vinegar isn't strong enough to test rocks so I am not sure what to think. I used the vinegar method to test some rocks I got at a garden center. It didn't fizz, so I used them and they haven't altered my water chemistry at all (4 months later). But that's not to say I wasn't just lucky. :? :lol:
The Penguin/Emperor combo should be fine on your 29 gallon. I filter 300 gph on my 29 gallon tank. :mrgreen:

I got some rocks recently at the hatchery. I did pour some vinegar on them and they didn't fizz. I have also heard that vinegar isn't a strong enough acid to give a good test. So I put the rocks in a glass of water. First, I poured the water and let it sit overnight (about 10 hours) and then got a pH reading. I put the rocks in the water, waited about 5 days, and tested again. The pH reading didn't change, so now the rocks are in my tank!

we have 3 filters on our 5 gal tank and the only paroblem it seems to cause is a lot of current. So go right ahead, enjoy your filtration! :D :D

just rocks lying around our place they ae very hard and difeert colors some of them sparkle
I've heard that if they sparkle you should not use them.

I also heard that vinegar was not strong enough. Someone told me muriatic acid would work. I got some at the local hardware store. Tested some rocks and it did fizz so I did not use them.

Thanks everyone after saying this i have chaged my ind i will just buy rocks and not risk having to tear down the tank and possibly killing the fish.

Thanks everyone!

If you are keeping Africans you might WANT rocks that fizz when you apply vinegar (muriatic acid is a better way to go, most folks don't have it around, so placing them in water and monitoring pH is an excellent alternative). Raising the pH if you don't already have alkaline water is a desirable thing and will bring out better coloration and more natural behaviors in Africans.

The danger is the iron or other heavy metals mentioned above. These will poison the fish, but usually you will see a rust streak through them so you can tell. Sparkly usually means quartz, which is inert, like in granite, and is no threat to your tank. I love rocks in tanks!

Back
Top Bottom