Loud Top Fin Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macfisto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I purchased a 55 gallon setup from Petsmart a couple weeks ago. It came with a "Top Fin" power filter that I believe is actually a Whisper. The filter makes more noise than I would have expected. I have had Whispers before and they are extremely quiet. I don't mind water noise, but there is an annoying vibration/humming noise coming from this one. I actually took my original one back and got a new one, but same problem. Any suggestions on how to minimize this noise??

Thanks!

it might not be sittin on the back of the tank rite.
my air pump would do the same thing if it was touching the glass.
how much was the tank?

Hmmm.....I'll check that out when I get home. The whole setup was $160 -- included filter, heater, hood, light, food, chemicals, etc. Pretty good deal, I thought.

Thanks!

IMO upgrade the fliter system. Good Price on the setup -the filter system. I started with a TopFin 60. I just dont like the way the Media is done.

sometimes with the kits you get a good tank but cheap filters ect.
so if noone i here can help you then you might want to buy a different one
(i havent seen a problem people on aa cant solve)

sometimes the impeller shafts on the cheaper filters get bent really easily.. check to make sure its perfectly strait.. it might just be a poorly desigened impeller unit though.. HTH

Yeah, I do believe it is the impeller -- that seems the type of noise it is making. If it is bent, can I just bend it back into shape?

Thanks

They are very difficult to bend back.. Ive done it before but as I said its extreamly hard to do.. If you have about 2-4 hours to tinker with it, it can be done...LOL

If you strip the impeller down the the shaft you can roll it across a very flat surfase to see if its perfectly strait..

The filter on my 55 gallon will sometimes sound loud if the actual tank lid isn't pulled forward as far as it can go. It gets pushed back and then vibrates against the filter, if that makes sense. It makes it sound like the filter is really loud but I just have to pull the lid forward and it gets quiet again.

If you take the lid off the filter, you can see if its part of the noise problem.. if its still noisy then its most likely the impeller..

Back
Top Bottom