Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2003, 12:59 AM   #31

Glow in the dark items are made with a trace of radium I think - that could pose a threat to the fish -plus they would not be intense enough Abe. BTW Abe - that was funny what you said about the orange safety cones around the house if I were to use road flares as temporary lighting. You gave me a good laugh. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:03 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm not going to even touch the topic on the usage of road flares, lightning bugs, glow in the dark frisbees or chemical sticks as temporary lighting in the aquaria. They just sound unsafe or just plain ridiculous. You might be able to pull it off with candles - if you can get enough of them. To convert candlepower (foot candles) to lumens per square meter you multiply by 10.764. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-08-2003, 06:17 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Dear Mr. geforcefx3. Have you considered maybe using solar panels. You could install them on your roof to harness all the suns power. Then you could draw all the power into your house, and channel it through a "Flux Capacitor", or something. This should generate more then enough lights for you tank. With the "Flux Capacitor" I've hear that you can generate up to 1,686,000 gigawatts, which would provide enough lights for some awesome plant growth. You'd just have to be careful in a lightning storm though. One miss guided lightning bolt to your roof and your fish could end up back to the future......
Old 07-08-2003, 06:46 PM   #34

Quote:
. With the "Flux Capacitor" I've hear that you can generate up to 1,686,000 gigawatts,
Yeah, but don't you have to be going 80 miles per hour?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 07-08-2003, 07:01 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular

corvus - great reponse! I am BOL (buckeled over laughing)
Old 07-08-2003, 08:35 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

...and TWO mis-guided lightning bolts striking the solar panel array could lead to "A Little Shop Of Horrors" with your aquarium plants. There are several documented cases in which two jolts of 1.6 million gigawatts within a 72 hour period have caused genetic mutations in the DNA of aquatic plants know as hyper-mytochondrial augmentation, or HMA. More succinctly, you'd have a forest of venus fly-trap like carnivorous photosynthetic autotrophs. If this happens, you can ward off the offending plant-beasts with habenero-based pepper spray, but be sure to wear protective eyewear when doing so.

Tags
budget, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com