Low light plants, 0.7w

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sf1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

My 29 fluval tank has only one light, 20 watt Aqua-Glo T8.
Can I plant something there with my 0.7 watt/gallon, like: Anubias, Java Fern, Cryptocoryne, Vallisneria, Java Moss?

Also, can I plant thos plants in the sand (1.5 inches is OK or better more?).

Thanks

Hi,

My 29 fluval tank has only one light, 20 watt Aqua-Glo T8.
Can I plant something there with my 0.7 watt/gallon, like: Anubias, Java Fern, Cryptocoryne, Vallisneria, Java Moss?

Also, can I plant thos plants in the sand (1.5 inches is OK or better more?).

Thanks

Anubias, java fern, and java moss will all grow fine, but the all do best attached to driftwood or rocks

Thanks!

How about Crypt's, Vallisneria, Amazon Sword and Hygrophila Polysperma?
There is a low light plants that I can seed in the sand?

Crypts will be fine and possibly Jungle Val but no on the Hydro and maybe on the Sword. Also be sure to put root tabs by the crypt and sword if you get any. Also I'd increase your sand to about 2-1/2" especially if your putting in heavy root plants like crypts and swords.

Thanks
All those plants need something like Seachem Flourish Excel?

I've found my low light tank plant growth is much better when using liquid carbon like Flourish Excel. Or you can go the generic route and get Metricide 14 Day Solution. A gallon is about $20 and $7 for shipping. You dilute it at a ratio of 1:1 with RO or Distilled water to get 2 gallons for about $27 which is dirt cheap. Use it daily at a ratio of 1ml per 10 gallons of water and after a couple weeks increase your dose to 1ml to every 5 gallons of water. Also be sure to throw the activator bottle away that comes with it and be sure to store the mixed solution in an opaque totally light blocking container as liquid carbon breaks down in light quite rapidly. One other thing... don't use any Vals if you use liquid carbon as they are sensitive to liquid carbons and will likely melt.

Thanks
How about Sunset Hygrophila in low light (0.7w/g)?

So, for the red color I need to buy crypt wendtii tropica?
With Giant Vallisneria I cannot use liquid carbon at all, or I can use it in small dose?

Also I really like the Rotala indica, I won't die with 0.7w/g?

You can get Crypt Wendti Red, Bronze, Florida Sunset, or Mi Oya for color.

Jungle Val is hard to get to acclimate to any liquid carbon. I had great success with Corkscrew Val using high doses of liquid carbon. You can try by using maybe a 1/4 dose daily and see how it reacts. If it starts to melt then stop. If it can handle that amount for 3 or so weeks then you can try upping the daily dose to 1/2 the normal amount. Then increase again after time if they tolerate it.

How about Rotala indica with my light condition ?

Just added Anacharis (Egeria densa) and Rotala Indica. Ordered Crypt Wendtii Tropica, Sunset Hydro and African Water Fern.

Somebody know if these plant like a particular water flow rate (slow, medium, high)?
Can I place them below my HOB filter?

Thanks

All plants do better with some water flow IMO. It keeps detris off leaves and carries nutrients to them. I've put plants below an HOB before but as they get tall they will get bent over/pushed forward.

Just curious but where are you getting the Sunset Hydro from? It's illegal to sell/ship outside the state it's being grown in. I've never found anyone in Missouri to get any from.

Just curious but where are you getting the Sunset Hydro from? It's illegal to sell/ship outside the state it's being grown in. I've never found anyone in Missouri to get any from.
In Montreal/Canada in my LFS the guy told me that he can order it. No idea from where.
It's a reputable store.

My tank :hide:

Attachments

• 20131015_202321.jpg
    20131015_202321.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 62
  • 20131015_202336.jpg
    20131015_202336.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20131015_202350.jpg
    20131015_202350.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 57
Does somebody known if Anacharis (Egeria densa) like the flow? I put it near my airstone. It was a good idea?

I had a 15w on my 20g high tank... and my amazon swords did fine. They didnt grow per say, but they did establish huge roots that sprawled across my tank. then I upgraded to 48w and bam they took off like crazy haha.
Also, I just got brazilian pennywort and its growing like crazy, and heard its a good low light plant.

Added brazilian pennywort to my wishlist, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom