Low maintance freshwater fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mef1975

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What are the lowest maintenance freshwater fish, producing the least amount of waste?

Or better yet, how many Ghost Shrimp do you think it would take to produce as much waste as 2 Florida Flag fish?

I've been in the hobby (freshwater planted tank) a couple years, have gone thru a few set ups to help accelerate learning...

Had an angelfish with a body the size of my palm, which appeared to foul up around 10 gallons a week. When I say, foul up, I mean, bringing nitrates from 0 to 40 PPM. My two flagfish seem to be pretty much the same. I'm now wondering what out there might produce only about 25% as much waste.

Last edited by a moderator:
The amount you feed is the deciding factor in how much the nitrates increase. That being said, the smaller the fish, the less you need to feed, the less the water gets fouled up.

Some fish that would work:
Guppies
Betta
Danios
Hatchets

Pretty much any slim bodied fish produces less waste.

low maintence freshwater fish

try cutting back on feedings to once a day or every other day so it will not foul up water as bad. also from my experience I find that certain livebearers will foul up water more than egglayers..

Gourami. Tetras. GBR. Fed once a day what they consume in about 3-4 minutes. Feeding is happy frenzied mayhem. Then they graze the bottom for any leftovers. I really never see them poop. 35 percent water change weekly. Tank stays clean, water is pure and crystal clear. Not bragging , just very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Assuming whatever amount they can eat in a few minutes, and apart from critters with special dietary needs, how often or number of times per day is a reasonable amount to feed?

I'm always concerned my fish may not be getting enough. Paternal instinct? I feed twice a day and they always seem hungry, even in between meals!

Feeding them

I feed them once a day. And some freeze dried brine shrimp as a treat every other day. Fish always look hungry. What else do they have to do? Your their caretaker, not their mommy. Please don't love them to death sometimes even skipping a day is beneficial

I'm Changing the Meal Schedule!

Please don't love them to death sometimes even skipping a day is beneficial
I think I intuitively knew that - just needed to hear somebody say it.

I've said it before, but when I go on holiday I have the fish fed every third day, just the normal amount and on my return the tank nitrates are lower and the fish are much more active. Do I learn from this - nooooo, I just keep feeding them twice a day, I can't help myself. But I have learned to feed a bit less each time.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom