Low Maintenance Tank Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
**Before anybody replies I would like to state that I hav efull understanding that this may not work. I am perfectly able and willing to step in if things head south. Please do not post on here saying you think it is not possible or a waste of time. I will be doing my research and carefully observing the situation as time goes.**

Ok so Im trying again. I have an idea for a beautiful low maintenance tank. This is mostly just about the pretty tank and the low maintenance part is just an added thing for fun if it works. However I do want to give this the best possible shot. So here are my ideas. Please point out any kinks you see and any advice. If you have tried something similar please tell me about it!
I am thinking a 20 gallon long tank. It will be well planted. In one back corner I will build up a small "marshy" area using slate and aquarium gravel. In the "marshy" area I will plant lucky bamboo and maybe 1 or 2 other plants. I have a marina slim 10 filter that has a removable "powerhead" with a kind of sponge filter on it. I want to attach a hos to this to drain into the marsh and create a waterfall. I will have pothos vine (very effective toxin eliminator) hanging its roots in the water. I will also have duckweed over the top.
I will be adding a colony of RCS and a colony of endlers livebearers. I havent decided on the last fish yet. The plan is to add something to keep the endlers population in check.

So I do have a list of questions:
1) If I have say half of a glass top on the tank (opposite the swamp) then what lighting would add enough light to go through the duckweed and keep low light plants (anubias, banana plant, wisteria) alive without the need for co2 or ferts?
2) Should I add biomaterial to the middle of the swamp area?
3) What could be the last fish?

Im sure I will think up more questions but I want to make sure I get this right. I was thinking LED lighting as I found a cheap supplier of 5500-6500K LEDs but dont know how much would be needed to keep everyone happy.
Again I understand the risk and my responsibility to watch out for the fish. If anything seems wrong (toxic water, lack of food) I WILL step in in any way necessary.
Thanks and God bless!

A predator can eliminate the whole colony. If not a predator, then any other fish would not be able to keep up with the colony.

No biomaterial, let your swamp thing do its work.

There's lots of low maintanence tanks. What's up with the bold?

It's bolded because the last thread made was talking about a 'self sustaining' tank, which sparked a big argument.

I think your idea is interesting, I wouldn't bother with a powerhead though if you are trying to keep it as low maint/natural as possible.

I'd probably just run a basic sponge filter or corner filter hidden behind some plants.

I don't know if you'll regret doing the duckweed, it easily chokes out the light by covering the top of the tank. It's not as much of an issue if you have lighting coming in from the side as well, but it might pose a problem if you plan to have it lit only from the top with lots of plants.

As far as your 3rd fish, I'd go with something like pygmy sunfish or scarlet badis personally.

The kind of lighting you can get away with is a pretty wide range, duckweed and low light plants in a 20L can get away with something as low as a couple of t8s, but ideally I'd go with t5no or single t5ho and just raise them up as needed.

Oh right I remember that discussion.

I recommend a 3" deep sand bed and get some critters for sand. It's the closest thing you can get to our SW cousins. Do some research for FW DSB.

Edit: never mind about the DSB. I forgot you wanted RCS.

A predator can eliminate the whole colony. If not a predator, then any other fish would not be able to keep up with the colony.

No biomaterial, let your swamp thing do its work.

There's lots of low maintanence tanks. What's up with the bold?
Are you saying for the shrimp or the endlers? I just want something to eat the babies (hopefully not all the baby shrimp)
It's bolded because the last thread made was talking about a 'self sustaining' tank, which sparked a big argument.
You Nailed it.
I think your idea is interesting, I wouldn't bother with a powerhead though if you are trying to keep it as low maint/natural as possible.
Well the filters pump detaches from the filter itself and makes somethimg like a powerhead/sponge filter. I figured I would take advantage of both to make the little water fall thing.
I'd probably just run a basic sponge filter or corner filter hidden behind some plants.

I don't know if you'll regret doing the duckweed, it easily chokes out the light by covering the top of the tank. It's not as much of an issue if you have lighting coming in from the side as well, but it might pose a problem if you plan to have it lit only from the top with lots of plants.
I see. I was hoping the fish would eat it as I have heard it is very nutritious. I could light from the sid eif I use the LEDs. How many LEDs would I need?
As far as your 3rd fish, I'd go with something like pygmy sunfish or scarlet badis personally.
Would a scarlet badis eat the endler fry? I dont want the endlers overrunning the tank and thats why I want a 3rd fish.
The kind of lighting you can get away with is a pretty wide range, duckweed and low light plants in a 20L can get away with something as low as a couple of t8s, but ideally I'd go with t5no or single t5ho and just raise them up as needed.
Could I swing some LEDs? I found a place that sells like 16 feet of LED lights for 24 bucks. They are 5500-6500K it says.
Oh right I remember that discussion.

I recommend a 3" deep sand bed and get some critters for sand. It's the closest thing you can get to our SW cousins. Do some research for FW DSB.

Edit: never mind about the DSB. I forgot you wanted RCS.
I dont know what DSB is? I have never heard of it. I will have MTS and maybe assassin snails.

I know little about LEDs, so I'm not much help there.

I wouldn't attempt to keep fish alive on duckweed alone, some fish don't touch it, and while it may be nutritious, I don't think it provides everything that most fish need. I'd at least get some documentation on that idea before jumping on board with it, as the only evidence I've seen as of yet is purely anecdotal.

Your hardest part to balance is going to be predator choice. You need to figure out something that will eat some juveniles, but not all of them, and that is difficult, especially in a small tank.

I've never put a fish in this particular scenario so I don't know firsthand how they'd behave. I do know I'd want a small fish (i.e. only goes after small targets and only eats small amounts), and only one or two. If your feeder population is booming then consider adding another predator, but you'd have to monitor your feeder population and act accordingly because they don't always produce a set amount or at set times.

Well the 20 is scrapped for now. I have a 5.5 to play with. I may try to do something similar still but alittle different. I dont know what fish or anything now. I want to almost eliminate water changes (if possible) and feeding (if possible). I am still going to have the terrestial plants but I may not do the built up marsh thing. Unless I can build a "shelf"....

I may just do shrimp with some small herbivour fish! What fish will NOT eat shrimp or their offspring?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have something to add to your post, just use the edit feature instead of posting back to back.

I don't know of any herbivore fish that will work in a 5.5g, and probably wouldn't recommend any if I did, since the water change/proper feeding thing is kind of the backbone to my principles as an aquarist.

If you have something to add to your post, just use the edit feature instead of posting back to back.

I don't know of any herbivore fish that will work in a 5.5g, and probably wouldn't recommend any if I did, since the water change/proper feeding thing is kind of the backbone to my principles as an aquarist.
Sorry!
I undestand your hesitation however I will be watching very closely. I WILL NOT be one of those aquarist that abuses his fish. If I notice ANY sign of trouble, I will do a small water change (so as not to shock them) or feed them depending on the symptons.
I am thinking I will feed regularly but try and limit water changes. I have done some research on this. If somebody doesnt try we will never know. I will be picking plants that are toxin eaters. In fact 2 of the plants I already have planned are used as or are being considered for water purification uses.
Anyway. I wanna try an expensive shrimp. I have a couple ideas. I need help with water params though. I do not have atest kit yet (will be getting one) so I dont know exact ph and such but I know this:
My GH or KH is virtually nonexistant. So is calcium. That is why I hav eto use aragonite in my tanks. Could I use a pure aragonite or sand mixture with alot of aragonite with the shrimp and plants or will that hurt my parameters? I am thinking about crystal reds, blue tigers, and a new species (will look up the name) that is gorgeous! My RCS are breeding slowly in my show tank so I am gonna add mor aragonite to see if it helps.

*EDIT* the mystery shrimp is a harlequin shrimp.http://www.planetinverts.com/Harlequin_Shrimp.html

Last edited:
I don't know if you'll regret doing the duckweed, it easily chokes out the light by covering the top of the tank.

I also hear that once you get duckweed in the tank, you will never get rid of it. Basically, no matter what you do (with an active tank) there will always be some small piece of it some where and will quickly come back.

I also hear that once you get duckweed in the tank, you will never get rid of it. Basically, no matter what you do (with an active tank) there will always be some small piece of it some where and will quickly come back.
I know how to get rid of it! lol I tried to grow in in a tank with decent water flow. FAIL!

I am going to post a new thread later since this has evolved into a shrimp tank thread.

I also tried duckweed in my tank. The flow was too strong and all the duckweed got sucked into my filter. I also don't use my lights enough, maybe 4-5hrs per day.

I also tried duckweed in my tank. The flow was too strong and all the duckweed got sucked into my filter. I also don't use my lights enough, maybe 4-5hrs per day.
I use my lights to much lol

Back
Top Bottom