Low Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottw68TN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My nitrates stay under 5.0 on my medium to heavy planted tank. Nitrite o and Ammonia was under .25. Should i reduce water changes add fish? Im not used to plants eating all the Nitrates. It seems to be a good problem to have!

My nitrates stay under 5.0 on my medium to heavy planted tank. Nitrite o and Ammonia was under .25. Should i reduce water changes add fish? Im not used to plants eating all the Nitrates. It seems to be a good problem to have!

That's not a issue lol. That's good! Was it a fish less cycle?

No i started with 6 tetras and some filter media from another tank about 6 months ago it had a quick cycle with a very low spike but its up and going with about 35 inches of bioload. I havent had to change water in awhile but feel odd not doing it.

I mean you want your ammonia at 0ppm nitrite 0ppm and nitrate under 5ppm. If anything, you want to get your ammonia down. Reduce feeding for a few days

It should be down today I was gardening that day so had a lot of stuff escape the flourite.

It's best to keep nitrates between 10-20ppm in a planted tank. Do you add any ferts that contain nitrogen to raise your nitrates?

I have a question along the same lines. Last night, right after I added 4 new gouramis, I checked my levels and had PH at 8.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 5, and Nitrates 10. I have a 55 gal with some plants, 8 danios, 1 striped Rafael catfish, 2 eartheaters, and I had just put in 1 pearl gourami, 2 giant gouramis, and 1 green severum. My PH usually stays at 7.6 and my nitrites at 0. My nitrates last week were 5 so they came up just a little. No one has died as of yet. I did do a 40% water change after I got my results and added Prime. Should I wait and see what happens tonight or do another water change anyway?

Actually you need to keep doing 50% WC's until you get your nitrite down to .25 or lower. Keep adding the Prime daily to protect the fish. And speaking of fish IMO that is too many large fish with high bio-loads for that size tank.

Meant to add that you don't need to worry about your ph as getting the nitrites under control is much more important.

Thanks. I'll do another water change as soon as I get home. So far, my biggest fish is only 2" long. I have all babies in there. My Rafael is only 1" long and my gouramis are under 2". My lfs told me that when they get too big for my tank I can trade them in for smaller fish. I'm running a Fluval 405 in my tank and have 1 java moss, 2 amazon swords, and 1 anubius in there. I'm adding some floating plants this weekend and would like to put some moss in there also. Do you think that would be OK?

Yeah, that was the only reason I took the giant gouramis. The guy at the lfs told me to bring them back when I felt they were too big and I could get something smaller. I wanted a tourqoise dwarf gourami but they didn't have on in so that's what I want to trade for eventually. I like colored fish. LOL!

"It's best to keep nitrates between 10-20ppm in a planted tank. Do you add any ferts that contain nitrogen to raise your nitrates?"
I add flourish and leaf zone and a small amount of osmacote under my rooted. So no I guess no nitrogen ferts. I was hoping to balance it naturaly but I dont think that can happen.

I dont use much of it yet. I have been testing it out on one sword and a large sprite. I will start using it on more plants

Osmocote isn't going to add much in nitrates to the water so if they are low you need to get something like Seachems Nitrogen or dry ferts.

Back
Top Bottom