Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2017, 06:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Low Nitrates

I have had my tank going for about 5 months now yet my nitrates sit at near 0, suggestions?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0772.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	304532

Old 10-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Do you have live plants in the tank?

Also might be helpful:
Tank size
Filter(s)
Type(s) and quantities of fish

0 PPM Nitr8 is probably not a bad thing.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Itís a planted 110 with the Ehiem pro 4 I have 15 Rummy Nose, 3 dojo loach 6 oto 6 Cory 5 silver molly and African butterfly and a clown pleco
Old 10-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I see 2 possibilities.

1: Your plants are taking care of the Nitr8s. Congratulations!

OR

2: You are doing the test wrong. It has to be done exactly as follows.

Instructions

1. Fill a clean test tube with 5 ml of water to be tested (to the line on the tube).

2. Add 10 drops from Nitrate Test Solution Bottle # 1, holding dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to ensure uniformity of drops added to the water sample.

3. Cap the test tube and invert tube several times to mix solution. Do not hold finger over the open end of the tube, as this may affect test results.

4. Vigorously shake the Nitrate Test Solution Bottle # 2 for at least 30 seconds. This step is extremely important to insure accuracy of test results.

5. Now add 10 drops from Nitrate Test Solution Bottle #2, holding dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to assure uniformity of drops to the water sample.

6. Cap the test tube and shake vigorously for one minute. This step is extremely important to insure accuracy of test results.

7. Wait five minutes for the color to develop.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate TBarbs View Post
I see 2 possibilities.

1: Your plants are taking care of the Nitr8s. Congratulations!

OR

2: You are doing the test wrong. It has to be done exactly as follows.

Instructions

1. Fill a clean test tube with 5 ml of water to be tested (to the line on the tube).

2. Add 10 drops from Nitrate Test Solution Bottle # 1, holding dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to ensure uniformity of drops added to the water sample.

3. Cap the test tube and invert tube several times to mix solution. Do not hold finger over the open end of the tube, as this may affect test results.

4. Vigorously shake the Nitrate Test Solution Bottle # 2 for at least 30 seconds. This step is extremely important to insure accuracy of test results.

5. Now add 10 drops from Nitrate Test Solution Bottle #2, holding dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to assure uniformity of drops to the water sample.

6. Cap the test tube and shake vigorously for one minute. This step is extremely important to insure accuracy of test results.

7. Wait five minutes for the color to develop.
+1 I agree completely, my planted tanks maintain super low nitrates even when I dont get the water changed on time ( and I dose pps-pro ferts).

Would be helpful to see a pic to be sure.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hereís a photo, I always thought you wanted you nitrates around 20/30 and not 0? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0775.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	304534
Old 10-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I may have missed it earlier, but do you add any ferts? Looks very possible your plants are just using them.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I use excel and flourish everyday and itís about time to add new fertilizer tabs. Currently having an algae issue so Iím playing with that right now though
Old 10-23-2017, 10:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Flourish Comprehensive is intended as a source of micro nutrients and as a supplement to a NPK regimen (as per the Seachem site).
For a tank this size you should really consider using dry ferts and dose either using the PPS-Pro or EI method. Inexpensive, flexible, easy to use, and effective.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:39 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Flourish Comprehensive is intended as a source of micro nutrients and as a supplement to a NPK regimen (as per the Seachem site).
For a tank this size you should really consider using dry ferts and dose either using the PPS-Pro or EI method. Inexpensive, flexible, easy to use, and effective.
I have a planted tank and have never heard of these 2 methods, can you explain them to me? I use all 4 flourishes once a week right now.

Tags
ate, nitrate, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com