Low pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catfishkid

Aquarium Advice Activist
So the pH in my tank is at 6.5 and I've been putting in a pH powder (dont know the exact name) for the past few days and it's done nothing. Is there a reason for this?

the powder isnt going to help in the long run. it will change every time u do a water change. try some coral

Honestly I would always try to go the natural way with my tanks. Don't waste your money on trying to adjust the pH with chemicals. Do your inhabitants require a higher pH? I haven't had to raise my pH, but will keep the coral in mind.

So the pH in my tank is at 6.5 and I've been putting in a pH powder (dont know the exact name) for the past few days and it's done nothing. Is there a reason for this?

my PH is at 6.0...whats the problem :dance:

Honestly I would always try to go the natural way with my tanks. Don't waste your money on trying to adjust the pH with chemicals. Do your inhabitants require a higher pH? I haven't had to raise my pH, but will keep the coral in mind.

It should be up at 7.0 for the fish i have, but so far the drop hasn't affected any of them.

If the PH is wrong for your fish, probably the GH/KH is wrong. You can add baking soda to increase both GH KH and PH.

You need to add a very little of baking soda to increase the values.

This website will help you determine best water parameters for your community. http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Like living coral right?

Definitely no to the living coral. The substance being referred to is called crushed coral and is big chips of what loons to be rocks. It will tend to dissolve in water with a lower ph releasing substances to raise the pH

It should be up at 7.0 for the fish i have, but so far the drop hasn't affected any of them.

A 6.5 pH is perfectly fine for just about any fish in the trade. If the fish require a 7.0 pH then its very close and not something to worry about. Fiddling with the ph is just going to cause problems down the road.

If the PH is wrong for your fish, probably the GH/KH is wrong. You can add baking soda to increase both GH KH and PH.

You need to add a very little of baking soda to increase the values.

This website will help you determine best water parameters for your community. AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. This will affect KH levels but not GH levels. Although adding it will work temporarily, I would not recommend this as solution without KH/GH tests to know what the levels are now and what the desired result will be and how to maintain it. Adding some aragonite or crushed coral would be a better long term option for stabilizing KH if this is what the OP is seeking to accomplish. In general, a stable ph within a reasonable range is healthier than trying to achieve a 'perfect' ph.

Back
Top Bottom