Low ph and high ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyinV

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55gal. with 12 t. barbs and 2 balas. Ive been doin pwc to get correct levels. Is prime really the liquid gold and all i should use to correct the issues, I set the tank back up last week after being established but had to move my goldies out And start over

Your 55 G Tank

I have a 55gal. with 12 t. barbs and 2 balas. Ive been doin pwc to get correct levels. Is prime really the liquid gold and all i should use to correct the issues, I set the tank back up last week after being established but had to move my goldies out And start over

Hello Flyin'...

OK. So, your post reads like you're doing a "Fish In" cycle. That's fine, but you need to start with extremely hardy fish, like Zebra Danios, Platys, Fancy Guppies, etc. I don't know how tough the fish you have are, but since you have them...

You may be privy to all this information, but I'll start with the basics. The fish waste starts the cycling process. Once the tank is set up and running, some hardy fish go in and you get out the water testing kit. Every day, you test the tank water for traces of ammonia and nitrites. When you test positive for either, you change out a quarter (25 percent) of the water and replace it with pure treated, tap water. I prefer SeaChem's Prime to treat the tap water.

You follow this routine daily until several tests show no ammonia or nitrites. Then you add a few more fish and test daily and remove water when needed. You do this until the tank is fully stocked. The process can take several weeks.

Pretty simple really, just takes some time.

B

Hi! What are your exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph? What are you using to test them? You mentioned the tank was established but then you set it back up- what exactly do you mean by this? Did you start everything over from scratch or just simply moved new fish into an established tank? Some more info will help! :)

I had to move and the tank wasnt any fun What i was sayin is that i broke the tank down, relocated my goldies to a friends pond and used existing bala and set tank back up within 12 hours My friend cichlid kid tested with an api masters kit i believe to help me learn the ins n out of tanks My ph was very light around under 6 and my ammonia was all but toxic and nitrates are starting to show, Got alot of help from all on this forum I am doin pwc and only using PRIME Gonna test and ill post Thank You

Ph low under 6 and ammonia all but toxic and nitrates starting to show Cichlid kid tested with api master kit i believe Gonna test and ill post Thank you

Back
Top Bottom