Low Tech and El Natural Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
As some of you may or may not be aware I used to be a regular visitor of this forum. I moved away for a while as my direction with regards to Aquarium ecosystem keeping changed somewhat. I started a Facebook group which will remain unnamed (unless I receive a PM) in order to pursue like minded individuals that view their aquarium in a more organic light. As this forum did not offer a Low tech and El Natural forum as some other do I put in a request to have one added. Unfortunately and understandably, this cannot happen right now and so this here thread/forum will hopefully be for those that are interested in and can offer support in low maintenance low input aquariums. Hopefully, if this forum gathers enough momentum we can put forward a case to making it a permanent feature amongst some of the other forums.

There really is only one thing I’d like to keep at the back of people’s minds when posting in this forum and that is

*Low tech means minimal input and/or intervention from the Aquarist*

Thanks to the Admins and development team for encouraging this forum.

Let’s get the ball rolling and happy fish keeping.

I’ve always wanted to start my own low tech tank and would love to see more info posted here

My tanks are what *I* consider low tech,substrate is granite pea gravel, no chemical additives other than meds, they do have lights, heaters & HOBs, some have driftwood, plants are silk or nonexistent due to my purple thumb. I treat them like I do my gardens - new inhabitants get a little extra attention for a week or so but after that it's up to them to survive. I'm lucky in that I am on well water so nothing is needled to make my tap water non-chlorinated. WCs are then on tap with Python attached drain/gravel clean anywhere from 1/3 to 2/3 of tank water then refill with water as close to tank temp as possible. Results have been okay, no plague like wipeouts but I'm sure I should do a little more maintenance and did go buy a TDS meter & test kit the other day so I can monitor water conditions a little closer. Interested to see what others do for some helpful tips.

I’ve always wanted to start my own low tech tank and would love to see more info posted here

There are a few here that would love to add their 2 cents [emoji846]

At the moment I’m struggling with Cyanobacteria. One of the issues I had was the fact that I came from high dosing to nothing all at once including switching off the co2. Also I’m just using plain Eco complete which is fine but the mulm takes much longer to establish. In other words the tank wasn’t set up how *I* believe it should have been.

Here’s a run down of my tank from top to bottom.

Moderate light
Moderate flow (small filter sponge)
Eco complete substrate
No water changes (RO top offs)
Fed live foods only
No co2
No additional ferts
No chemicals

So far I’ve not lost a single fish, snail or shrimp this way. I’m at 5 months without a water change. Filter was recently added for better oxygen distribution.

My tanks are what *I* consider low tech,substrate is granite pea gravel, no chemical additives other than meds, they do have lights, heaters & HOBs, some have driftwood, plants are silk or nonexistent due to my purple thumb. I treat them like I do my gardens - new inhabitants get a little extra attention for a week or so but after that it's up to them to survive. I'm lucky in that I am on well water so nothing is needled to make my tap water non-chlorinated. WCs are then on tap with Python attached drain/gravel clean anywhere from 1/3 to 2/3 of tank water then refill with water as close to tank temp as possible. Results have been okay, no plague like wipeouts but I'm sure I should do a little more maintenance and did go buy a TDS meter & test kit the other day so I can monitor water conditions a little closer. Interested to see what others do for some helpful tips.

I like that you restrict chemicals and don’t have to use chlorine or chloramine. The tank will do much better without these additions.

Have you considered adding live plants? How long has the tank been set up? I would suspect that plants would do well in your tank if left alone. To establish themselves. I’ll bet you have a whole host of beneficial microorganisms that would help also. I also reckon your substrate is now packed full of a nice plant ready mulm providing you don’t gravel vac too much.

In the process of moving all the tanks from basement to main floor so once moved & settled in, *might* try live plants again but that is a future project

Someone requested to see some old publications. I’m led to believe they are from 1935. The four principles.

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

No problem. Here is my tank using the 4 principles.

IMG_0773.jpg

I’m contemplating removing the internal filter as with the air stones either side of the back corner. Flow and oxygen should be sufficient. Turned light up too to increase o2 level. May ever reduce temp by a degree.

It depends on the size of the tank. They generate too much flow in my 85 litre. Even now there is too much. The air stones do provide some flow and also bring up water from the lower areas of the tank. Given that the biological filter is everywhere in my tank I think I can remove it. One thing I don’t like about filters is that they collect dirt rather than removing it and so you have to keep on top of cleaning the sponge to maintain and maximise oxygen levels in the tank.

If you have good oxygen the stuff that collects in the substrate is broken down by microbes very efficient unless you over stock and over feed.

I'd love to see this in action in an actual aquarium as opposed to a video representation. Most of my tanks are 300L or larger so an airstone is under kill as far as I can see

A lot of outdoor ponds just use aerators for crystal clear water. The have not other real means of circulating.

I'd love to see this in action in an actual aquarium as opposed to a video representation. Most of my tanks are 300L or larger so an airstone is under kill as far as I can see
I was thinking using them for tanks more along the size of 120 to 150 gallons

Would be low flow in your tank too? Mine didn’t like flow plus got eaten by fish :(

Yeah the flow is just created by an airs tone. It’s a dual line pump so I have one stone on each back corner so get the benefit of oxygenation and flow.

Back
Top Bottom