Lower pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KFav93

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need help to lower my pH. I have a piece of driftwood in my tank but I think I cured it too much. I don't have room for another driftwood. What can I do? My fish are adapted to my high pH. So they're all okay and have been.

Why do you want to lower it?
It's really high. It's between 7.2 and 8.4. I just want to lower it so I can accommodate more fish when it comes to the time to start stocking again. I want to stock once all of the problems are over and done with

From what I understand, fish prefer a stable pH more than a specific pH, and 7.2 is definitely not too high. You could add peat to your filter.

From what I understand, fish prefer a stable pH more than a specific pH, and 7.2 is definitely not too high. You could add peat to your filter.
It's closer to 8.4 than it is 7.2. I understand, I don't want to lower it fast, that's why I got the driftwood. I just want to get it to 7, from what I was told certain fish can't live in a higher pH. What's peat?

Peat as in peat moss.
What is the pH of the water coming out of the tap? You should measure it when you get it from the tap and again 24 hours later (to allow for de-gassing). Is it above 8.0 as well? If it is not, then perhaps something in your tank is elevating the pH.
As mentioned above, stability is preferred over a target pH value.

Peat as in peat moss.
What is the pH of the water coming out of the tap? You should measure it when you get it from the tap and again 24 hours later (to allow for de-gassing). Is it above 8.0 as well? If it is not, then perhaps something in your tank is elevating the pH.
As mentioned above, stability is preferred over a target pH value.
I actually think my tap water is lower pH than my tank. Because everytime I test the tap, it's 7.2, then it goes up to 8.4 when I test the tank water. I didn't know tanks could elevate it.

Mine used to. It doesn't anymore now that I add CO2. Do you have plants?
I have a Java fern for awhile now, today I just added an animus? [Spelling] I'm at work I don't remember what it's called exactly.

Maybe anubias? I don't know how much CO2 java ferns consume. I had this big bamboo forest until one of them got fungus.
So you think it might be my plants? I have a piece of driftwood, but I think I cured it too much. I was in fear of my water turning tea color

Black as in short wave or black as in that's the hood cover? I was doing a Google search on Aqueon black lights and only finding stuff about a black hood. I'm sure I could find more details if I looked harder.

I think I remember a picture of your tank from another thread, all lush and green. I suspect you have very happy plants gobbling up as much CO2 as they can find.

I should defer to someone who is better with lighting, though.

It's not a black Light. It's a hood with a light strip on it. It's from petco. And the plants are really small. I got small ones. 1479416576120.jpg

Back to your pH, test the tap water again and, more importantly, let the tap water sit out over night and test the pH again. If the pH straight from the tap is 7.2 and the next day after sitting out it is at or higher than 8.0, then it's the tap water. If the tap water stays at 7.2 the next day, then it is something in your tank. It could be the substrate or any of the decor. But do the overnight test first.

Back to your pH, test the tap water again and, more importantly, let the tap water sit out over night and test the pH again. If the pH straight from the tap is 7.2 and the next day after sitting out it is at or higher than 8.0, then it's the tap water. If the tap water stays at 7.2 the next day, then it is something in your tank. It could be the substrate or any of the decor. But do the overnight test first.
Okay! How much water should I test? Like a glass full?

You use test strips they are not accurate, I run 7.8 and my fish are happy, ph of 8.2 isn't bad, don't mess with it as if you lower it to much you can cycle the tank , test steps are not accurate.

Back
Top Bottom