lower ph & kh? Want to add new fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leoslizards

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I'm new here so I hope I posted this in the right place. I was wondering how I could lower my ph and kh? I read somewhere that you could use driftwood and peat. Is peat the same as peat moss? Like the stuff you get at home depot that's used for plants and such?

I have a planted 29g tank with about 1½" of leveling sand from home depot and 1" of Caribsea Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate. That's a total of 2½" of substrate. I know that's alot but I had the sand in the tank before I added the Eco-Complete and I was too lazy to remove it before I added the Eco-Complete. :? I was also wondering if the sand has anything to do with my water's parameters?

Anyways here's my water's parameters.
29 gallon tank.
PH = 7.5
Nh3 = 0.6
GH = 220
KH = 110
NO2 = 0.1

I also tested my tap water.
PH = 7.6
NH3 = 0
GH = 100
KH = 50
NO2 = 3.3

I currently have....
2 Dwarf Gouramis
1 Sunset Gourami
1 Clown Loach
2 Albino Bristle Nose Plecos ( Just got them 4 days ago :) )
10+ Fancy Guppies (Moving to another tank.)
10+ Ghost Shrimp

I plan to add some Neon Tetras and a pair of German Blue Rams soon but I have to get the ph down first. So I'll like to get it down to about 6.5 through 7.0. As for the KH, I'm not sure. I'm pretty new to this hobby so I'm still learning. I've been doing this for a couple years but I still consider myself a noob.

Below I have included links with info on the fish I already have and fish I would like to have in the future. So if you see a species that will not fit well into my dream community tank, please let me know. All opinions are welcome.

Fish I own------------------------------------Fish I want------------------------------------
About 6 months ago I had my tank's parameters at what I want it today and I figured this is because I used deionized water and then I set my desired PH. The replacement filters started taking a toll at my aquarium's budget so I started using tap water and that's when my tank started going in the wrong direction. I used the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter. I just recently bought some more of these filters so I'll be able to control my water again. I should be getting them between today and the next four days.
I read somewhere that I shouldn't make drastic changes to my water's ph because it could stress out and kill my fish, so I was wondering how I should add the new deionized water?
Should I,

A. Remove 5gals from the tank and add 5gals of deionized without a set PH? (Ph Adjuster liquid not added, might change water parameters drastically. pH Adjuster & Electro-Right Treatment)

or

B. Remove 5gals from the tank and add 5gals of deionized water with the ph set a little lower? (For example, ph set to 7.4 or 7.3) and then each week with every PWC add deionized water with a lower ph until I get it to where I want it?

or

C. Other?

Any info/opinions on these subjects would be greatly appreciated.

You've asked some great questions leoslizards. Here's what I would do.......

Use a 50%/50% mix of tap and RO when making your water changes. This will prevent a drastic pH swing and allow you monitor the progress on the way down. It also assures that there are some minerals in the tank. You can do as much as 10 gallons a day and be quite safe.

I don't care much for neons. They tend to do better in slightly cooler temps and are prone to too many diseases when stressed. The cardinals are larger, more colorful, and thus a better choice for your tank. JMO

You're showing both ammonia and nitrIte in your tank. How long has this been setup? I see your tap has nitrIte's but your tank showing ammonia is a bit concerning.

I wouldn't touch your pH, 7.5 is perfectly fine for both neons and rams. Are you doing this just because a website said it is their native pH? Who knows whether the ones you buy at the LFS have been bred in pH 8 or 6, both of which happen all of the time.

The only thing I would possibly do is add CO2 since that will help your plants and lower your pH too if you are really so worried about it. Your biggest issue is going to be the sand under the Eco-Complete. You need to make sure to stir the substrate regularly because with sand you will get pockets of bad bacteria which spells doom.

BrianNY said:
You've asked some great questions leoslizards. Here's what I would do.......

Use a 50%/50% mix of tap and RO when making your water changes. This will prevent a drastic pH swing and allow you monitor the progress on the way down. It also assures that there are some minerals in the tank. You can do as much as 10 gallons a day and be quite safe.

I don't care much for neons. They tend to do better in slightly cooler temps and are prone to too many diseases when stressed. The cardinals are larger, more colorful, and thus a better choice for your tank. JMO

So if I do the 50% tap and 50% RO PWC, should I still add PH Adjuster to the RO water, or just the Electro-Right to add minerals?

7Enigma said:
You're showing both ammonia and nitrIte in your tank. How long has this been setup? I see your tap has nitrIte's but your tank showing ammonia is a bit concerning.

It's been setup for about 15 months now. I did a PWC last night. :) A couple ghost shrimp have passed away in the past 4 days. Maybe that's the reason for the NH3.

Argblarg said:
I wouldn't touch your pH, 7.5 is perfectly fine for both neons and rams. Are you doing this just because a website said it is their native pH? Who knows whether the ones you buy at the LFS have been bred in pH 8 or 6, both of which happen all of the time.

The only thing I would possibly do is add CO2 since that will help your plants and lower your pH too if you are really so worried about it. Your biggest issue is going to be the sand under the Eco-Complete. You need to make sure to stir the substrate regularly because with sand you will get pockets of bad bacteria which spells doom.

Well, I've always had my PH at 7.0. I guess I feel more secure at that level and my tank looked it's best back then as well. When I started using tap water, most of my fish died and so did about half the plant species in my tank.
The LFS where I bought my BNP is where I'm getting the cardinal tetras at. I also tested the water that came with the plecos and it was at 7.0.

I was wondering if I should be concerned about such high GH in my tank? GH = 220

GH is just how well the water's buffer is right? As in the higher the GH, the more stable the water is, and harder it is to change the PH?

Back
Top Bottom