Lowering aquarium pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beglely

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'd like to know if there is a safe way to slowly lower the pH in one of my aquariums. My tap water comes out around 7.2 and the same pH exists in my 20 long. I think it is this high pH here that has now caused my tiger shrimp to stop breeding since i moved home. I know c02 already lowers pH as my 55gallon tank already has a pH of around 6.0 but would adding c02 to my 20 cause too much of a shock for my fish to handle? Especially since the fish in there are very sensitive to water conditions. There is also the possibility that the presence of fish has stopped my tiger shrimp from breeding lately but I am unsure.
*Forgot to mention the 20long has 3 pieces of rainbow rock in it. I know certain rocks can raise your pH so would removing these rocks possibly lower my pH?

Removing the rocks may help. To test it, put a bucket of treated water out for 24 hours, measure pH, add rock, wait 24 hours, test pH, note any increase.

Adding peat to the filter will lower pH. It will also "stain" the water. Altering pH usually isn't really needed. I had Tiger shrimp breeding in 7.0.... just as FYI.

Hmm alright I was just wondering if possibly my pH was a problem or not, as I know they like a more acidic environment. Peat might not be a bad idea if i decide to lower it as I have ember tetras in the tank as well

you could also trying mixing ro water with yoru tap. Do you know what your water's hardness is as that is really more relevant in determining what is comfortable for your shrimp. Typically tigers will live the range you seem to have, but breeding is often compromised with less young surviving.

Typically tigers will live the range you seem to have, but breeding is often compromised with less young surviving.

I've been thinking of breeding RCS. My pH is in the 8.0 - 8.2 range with KH in the 5 to 10 range depending on my RO mixture. Do all shrimp need low pH for sucessful breeding?

I breed Angels in this water with no issues.

IMO the most important aspect of pH in an aquarium is that it remains stable, the tap water in my area runs 8.4 and I've never messed with it. Haven't lost a fish in a long time.

Caridina sp. prefer soft and acidic water and Neocaridina sp. prefer at least moderately hard to hard water that is alkaline. Neocaridina can breed in a soft and acidic environment, though some Caridina sp. such as CRS/CBS can die if the pH turns alkaline and if the water is too hard. Neocaridinas are generally far hardier than Caridinas.

Back
Top Bottom