Lowering nitrATES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am trying to keep my nitrATES as low as possible, particularly with rummynose tetras in my tank. My nitrATES are not that high, at around 20-25, but how can I make them lower. They do of course get lower after a PWC, but after that, they creep up again.

My test kit is inaccurate and showing bizarre readings, so I need to get a new one. I am only able to test my water at my LFS at the moment :(

Please could you list some ways of lowering my nitrATES. I don't think they are creeping up to high, because my rummies colours are amazing, but I would rather keep them lower. I have live plants, and I do weekly PWCs. Do I need to do 2 PWCs each week? How else can I lower them

The best route is through your water change routine, however if your source water has nitrates in it you may be fighting a losing battle.

Planting the tank will also reduce nitrates, but it takes a little bit of planning to do well.

jetajockey said:
The best route is through your water change routine, however if your source water has nitrates in it you may be fighting a losing battle.

Planting the tank will also reduce nitrates, but it takes a little bit of planning to do well.

+1 on planting. If you are not prepared to plant a tank (proper lighting, substraight, ect) and you are interested. I would look in to anachrist or hornwort. These plants are verry good at "eating" Nitrate. They are floating so no planting, and can grow in low lighting. They are not an end all to the Nitrate battle, but will help a lot.

If the rummies color is good, they're probably comfortable with the nitrates. As mentioned, water changes and plants are your friend when trying to reduce nitrates.

Thanks guys! I have plenty of live plants. I was just wondering if there were any other ways of keeping them lower. For a time I had them at around 10, but now they are a bit higher

Lowering Nitrates

I am trying to keep my nitrATES as low as possible, particularly with rummynose tetras in my tank. My nitrATES are not that high, at around 20-25, but how can I make them lower. They do of course get lower after a PWC, but after that, they creep up again.

My test kit is inaccurate and showing bizarre readings, so I need to get a new one. I am only able to test my water at my LFS at the moment :(

Please could you list some ways of lowering my nitrATES. I don't think they are creeping up to high, because my rummies colours are amazing, but I would rather keep them lower. I have live plants, and I do weekly PWCs. Do I need to do 2 PWCs each week? How else can I lower them

Hello C...

Your nitrates are low enough already. Just change out half the water in the tank every week and your fish will be fine. By flushing a lot of pure, treated tap water through the tank weekly, you guarantee stable water conditions. You won't need to test the water properties, there will be no time for pollutants to build up in the water before the next large change.

B

Ok, thanks! That makes sense :)

Hopefully I can get a refund on my test kit

Back
Top Bottom