lyre-tailed guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynmccoy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My sister brought me 2 pale blue lyre-tailed guppies. The clerk at Pet Smart told her that day shift had mixed the males and females together and they got everyone separated but these and the swordtails. I looked at the smaller one and it has a black spot so I put it in with my females. But then I got to thinking that usually the females are not as colorful as the males and this one is the same in looks as the other one. The other one doesn't have a black dot though. Does anyone know what a female lyre-tail would look like? I've either got it right,or I have a male with my females and 1 female in with 26 males. I don't have any other lyre tails to go by to look at.

Lyn McCoy:confused:

Look at the fins on the underside of the fish. Females will have a fan shaped fin. Males have a more pointed shaped fin.

Your Guppy Question

Good monring lyn...

Adult male and female Fancy Guppies are quite different. The male is half the size of the female, very slender and more colorful. The females all have the same spade shaped tail, so you won't have a female with a lyre tail, only the males have the different fin and tail shapes.

B

Thanks, now I know how to tell the difference. I just saw the dark colored dot and immediately assumed female. So in it went with my females. It's a pretty pale blue color though. What do you think a cross between a fancy guppy and a lyre-tailed guppy is going to look like? It sure looked happy to get in the female tank. Silly me thought it was glad to get away from being the only female with 26 males.Makes a lot of sense now the way it was acting so relieved, no competiton!

Lyn McCoy

I don't have a digital camera or I would. The guppy has a silvery gray head that starts turning pale blue all the way to the tail,kinda like if it had been painted with watercolors.We would've bred it anyway, most likely with a fancy cause we're kinda curious like that. I'll still get some lyre tails for the males for when I want more.

Lyn McCoy

Back
Top Bottom