Made The Move! Already in the new 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vikesfankevin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright so I just made a move and so far I would call it a sucess. A few things didn't go according to plan but it made it even more exciting.
If you didn't see my other posts I had a 20 and a 29 to move. Heres what ended up happening.
Ok so I started putting water for the fish into a large cooler. It was taking forever to catch the fish and I was getting worried about making 2 trips because I didn't have tank set up to put the fish in and it was a 30 minute drive. I decided fish from both tanks would fit in the cooler so I used half the water from one and half from the other(not sure if that was the best plan).
We finally got everything loaded up(which sucked because we had a ton of stairs to go down) and then found out we had too much water in the cooler. Every time he started to move, water poured out. We ended up losing about a gallon of water to his trunk.

When We finally got here I rushed to set up the 29 and fill it with water. Figured they could spend the night there and I could set up the 20 tomorrow. I slapped both filters on the 29. The fish were moving around more than I had ever seen and my rainbow shark was behaving himself.

Wake up in the morning and go to check out the tank and I find out that one of my filters was burned out. I have never heard of that happening but it did.

Decided it was time to speed everything up and picked up the 55 gallon I bought. It came with 2 filters, which I like so I can over-filter. I threw 1 cartridge in 1 filter and the second in the other one along with 2 new ones. Also the sand I got comes with bacteria and stuff in it all ready, I didn't even have to wash it. I was able to fill about a 1/3 of the tank with water from their other tanks. So got that all in there and then added the fish.

So far the fish are doing great. I have never seen them move around this much. They actually shoal up now. I'm going to give them a couple weeks and then add some more fish. Oh did have 1 loss. 1 of my hatchets disapeared. I have cats so I'm guessing it jumped out and the cat got it. Hoping this wont be a problem.

Nice job. Make sure that you are checking your parameters for the next few days to make sure that you dont have an ammonia or nitrite spike indicating a minicycle. If you do have a spike, just do a 50-60% water change and keep up with the changes until you get it under control. You may not have one since you used the old media, but best to test daily for a while to be sure.

Will be sure to do that. Thanks.
I am worried about 1 thing though. Since I started giving them frozen food in the evening, they don't touch anything else. Flakes, sinking pellets and waffers, nothing. Im debating just getting rid of those. My angel is the only fish that eats them. It eats everything.

In my community tank I only give the bloodworms a couple times a week as a treat. Other than that I feed flakes daily. Thats just me.

here's some hope that it stays good :)

My worry about moving is getting the tanks to a new place too.

Back
Top Bottom