Magically Appearing Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have no idea how it happened, but I had these snails magically appear in my tank. It's possible they hitched a ride with my plants, but the plants I have are the ones you can get at PetCo in the tubes. I definitely checked the plants. Unless they were eggs, I have no idea where they entered the tank.

Anyway, I dont mind. At first I thought it was one, but yesterday I saw two. They have conical spiraled shells. I don't have a picture at this time, but are these common? Can someone tell me about them? They apparently don't breed like the common snails, because I'm not overrun already and it's been a while since I saw the first one. Any information on these snails would be appreciated.

Most likely came in with your plants. If it's the only thing you've added, that's where it came from.

Yes. Their shells look like the tip of a pencil if you broke off the tip. It's conical and pointed, very slim.

Sounds like Malaysian trumpets. I had a couple of ramshorns and common pond snails hitch a ride on my plants. The pond snails have very quickly taken over. Oh well...

There are two that I have seen. Does the fact that I haven't seen more in over a month indicate these aren't the kind that overtake a tank?

I'm no expert, but certainly they aren't like pond snails. I saw two of those in my tank just after adding the plants. Two to three weeks later, I couldn't count them anymore...

My MTS took a while to get established, but that doesn't mean they can't take over. They reproduce in proportion to the amount of food available to them. You won't have issues if you don't overfeed. If you don't want to take the chance then remove them when you see them, but they're really not a big deal. Lots of people here even encourage them.

BTW, the tube plants are non-aquatic. They'll slowly die and rot in your tank. Take them out now and plant them in a pot.

Mosaic said:
BTW, the tube plants are non-aquatic. They'll slowly die and rot in your tank. Take them out now and plant them in a pot.

So, even if they're growing and sprouting new leaves in the tank, they are going to rot?

Just because you only see two doesn't mean you only have 2. MTS are substrate digging snails and reproduce rapidly. They will spend most of their time in the substrate. Before I turn the lights off I probably have 10 of them out and about in the tank. In the morning when the lights come on I see at least 100. They crawl back into the substrate. They won't harm your tank. Do you have a sand substrate? They are great for airating the substrate.

Personally, I think snails make a planted tank look more natural, and MTS are great little snails to have (ramshorns and physas are kinda boring looking).

Yes, I have sand substrate. I definitely don't see anywhere near 100 at this point. It took me a couple weeks before I ever saw the second one. I actually like the way these snails look much more so than the round shell snails.

Tomorrow morning before light enters the room, flip on the aquarium light and see how many you have. It may take a few months but you'll soon have plenty. They are great for the substrate and prevent gas pockets from forming.

When I come home from work, the lights are off and it's dark in the house. Maybe it's just not soon enough. Someday I will have colonies of these guys.

MTSs increase exponentially. I did a little experiment. I took a clean tank, placed in 1 MTS. after a month, I had 3, after 2 months, about 15, after 3, well...I gave up after 50. They are about at the max though now.

I have somewhere in the area of 1,000 MTSs in my 75 gallon tank. (if you ask why I overfeed tha tank enoughto have that many, I raise apple snails, and al lteh fish in the tank are slower eaters, plecos, bichirs which wait for the shrimp pellets to desolve some)

I am aobut to go through a major MTS clearing this weekend on the 75 when I redo the tanks deco

Back
Top Bottom