Mail order stores

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. supplies and equipment (i know alot of you swear by bigals)
screw big al's .... i would say check out online at any number of various stores. Most give better prices online then in the stores (petsmart for one)
2. fish (is this even a good idea?)
if you want to order fish, i would say for every 1 you want order 2 or 3. I personally haven't seen very much succes with this (i am only one person though)
3. plants
http://www.aquariumdriftwood.com/ seemed to be a fairly reasonable site. I can't say for sure as they don't deliver to canada at all.

I order regularly from both www.drsfostersmith.com and www.thatpetplace.com. One will have equipment that the other doesn't have and the pricing is usually quite good. The Drs. Foster & Smith website is better if you want to browse products or see what is new. I haven't ordered any fish or plants over the Internet so I can't make any recommendations there.

I've bought fish on line and have never had a problem. The one thing to remember though is that the shipping will often cost more than the fish. I once paid $35 for a pair of catfish and $45 for the overnight shipping. To me, it was still worth it.

As far as plants, I swear by lowcoasters stock. No, I'm not partners with him. *LOL*
I started a thread in the planted section a while back where I took pics of his operation.

Equipment. I ususally web surf till I find the best price. I've purshased from quite a few and my experiences have been generally favorable. I'll continue to buy equipment on line.

I use Big Als a lot because they have the best prices.

I buy my FW fish and plants locally. I only order SW fish online because of their high costs locally.

I've bought supplies and equipment from That fish place and shipping was fast, than again I live in PA.

I've never ordered fish online because the shipping is expensive.

I usually buy supplies online just because you they are usually cheaper. I have bought fish online, but only from individuals on AquaBid. I can find fish there that my LFS never carries.

SerLunchbox said:
1. supplies and equipment (i know alot of you swear by bigals)
screw big al's .... i would say check out online at any number of various stores. Most give better prices online then in the stores (petsmart for one)
2. fish (is this even a good idea?)
if you want to order fish, i would say for every 1 you want order 2 or 3. I personally haven't seen very much succes with this (i am only one person though)
3. plants
http://www.aquariumdriftwood.com/ seemed to be a fairly reasonable site. I can't say for sure as they don't deliver to canada at all.

Why Screw Bigals? I got excelent products at the best prices anywhere and FAST shipping ( I order 3 days before christmas and got it on Christmas Eve...)

The Big Al's store in Calgary is by far the worst LFS I have ever seen. However, I believe the on-line and brick-and-mortar are separate entities. As an aside, for Canadians, Big Al's prices are not that good, when you do the conversion :?

Back
Top Bottom