major algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey. I have a major problem with algae in two of my tanks. It is brown and is all over the sides of the tank. I don't know how to clean it all off without emptying the whole tank. And my snails and algae eaters aren't even touching it. I can't figure out why. I was away from the place for a week, with my parent's in to feed the fish, and it seemed to happen all in one week. Is there anything I can do? Why aren't my algae eaters interested, should I get a few more ottos? I only have one in my 29 gallon, could it be I don't have enough?

eh, more than one otto would be ideal, just because i don't think they're necessarily loners, but that's probably not going to help

bad algae buildup can be caused by a few factors:
1) phosphates: phosphates in your water built up from fish waste, or even phosphates from your tap can contribute to bad algae, depending on how often you clean your tank and do water changes.
2) lighting: too much light or light being on for too long of a period of time can help algae get worse
3) routine cleaning of your glass: personally, i try to clean the glass of my aquarium once a week just to prevent algae buildup, as a preventative measure

hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom