Major help, I have no idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superpeytonm

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone. I've been helping a guy who has a baby Red-Tail Catfish and I want to know what you think. I've had theories, but so far they don't seem right. It's in a 30 gallon with 2 Indo Tiger Datnoids and an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey. He has a marinenland filter and does weekly water changes. He says there is a red/purple ring around its eye. My first theory was some sort of eye infection, possible cloudy eye, but it's just the ring. So I don't know. This was yesterday. Today, he says that there is a bump on the tail that looks as he says, “It looks as if the fish were too big for the tank and his tail fin kept hitting the tank.” He also says that one gill is messed up. I have a picture of the catfish, but it's pretty blurry. I'll add it though. What do you guys think? There's other people helping, and possibilities have been thrown around, but so far nothing.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434472476.739103.jpg

Sent via Impala

One or more of the other fish is whipping him IMO!:whip:
Is it the smallest fish?
He won't be for long if he survives.:whistle:
Not many of those fish listed are going to do well in a 30g long term IMO,besides the EBJD.
You all know how big the RTC gets don't you?????:facepalm:

One or more of the other fish is whipping him IMO!:whip:
Is it the smallest fish?
He won't be for long if he survives.:whistle:
Not many of those fish listed are going to do well in a 30g long term IMO,besides the EBJD.
You all know how big the RTC gets don't you?????:facepalm:

Yes I know. And he apparently does too. He supposedly has a bigger tank for it. I'll ask him if it's the smallest.

Sent via Impala

ART will likely grow to size of you. Yes the size of a normal human being if not bigger... He will need AT LEAST a hundred gallon and probably that's even too small...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

ART will likely grow to size of you. Yes the size of a normal human being if not bigger... He will need AT LEAST a hundred gallon and probably that's even too small...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

100 gallons would work for a few months. Adult RTC will require a POOL or pond. These fish grow fast (1" per month or better!).

I agree with Coral, I think he's being picked on, probably by the Dats when they think the RTC has been resting. somewhere too long. Datnoids have a surprisingly big mouth.

Jesse

The dats were my first choice also.
If it (the RTC) does not grow an inch a month then it is wrong already!
Kind of is but that's not the point of this thread.
I am no fan of the fixes(mela fix/pimafix),but along with regular waterchanges they may clear him up quick enough .
If it looks like injury to you and friend then do this.
If you trhink it is a disease then move to treatment as the other fish will know he is week soon and sieze the moment.

Just realized the guy you're talking about is Clearwater aquatics on instagram. He also has a 15" RTC in a 75g, and bunch of other carelessly placed fish. His redtails will likely never see proper sized water columns they deserve or his big RTC wouldn't be where it is now..

Jesse

Just realized the guy you're talking about is Clearwater aquatics on instagram. He also has a 15" RTC in a 75g, and bunch of other carelessly placed fish. His redtails will likely never see proper sized water columns they deserve or his big RTC wouldn't be where it is now..

Jesse

Ohh that guy. I follow him.

Enough gossip though.

IMO RTC just need a grow out tank like 75g then moved to a pond or pool. These things can get almost as big as an adult male. They get around 5 feet long once fully matured and can be 100+ pounds.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom