Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Major landscape overhaul : keep the fish in, or put 'em in a bucket?

Found a nifty piece of driftwood, want to put it in my tank, but this would mean some major redecoration 'cause the sucker is BIG. Want to use the opportunity to do a really good gravel vac as well, get rid of plants that aren't working out, trim, wash off some diatoms, do some re-planting and organizing etc etc etc.

MEANWHILE....I don't want to stress out my fish in the process. Is it best to leave them in the tank, or put them in a bucket while I go all Martha Stewart on my tank? Or would a bucket just freak them out more?

Old 10-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Subscribed. I'd really like to know this as well

Old 10-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

If you are going to be doing a lot of rescaping then I would remove the fish. Whenever moving the substrate around and digging holes for plants, rocks, etc... you can turn up a lot of muck.

All this can cause spikes in your parameters. I usually net the fish, keep them in a bucket or QT (if it's empty) and do my rescape with the tank empty.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks. I don't think this would take me more than an hour or so, maybe a little more (depending on how much caffeine I've consumed in preparation). I assume they'd be ok for that long in a bucket?
Old 10-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
gre
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

IMO they would be fine for an hour, however the bucket(s) water temperature will drop off pretty quick so you will need to reacclimatize them to the tank when you are done rescaping because your tank water will be a lot warmer than the bucket water and the shock will be really stressful on the fish. Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I usually throw my heater and filter on the bucket. I got more of a square shaped bucket just for this reason. It also came with a lid that I cut out notches in for power cords and filter.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
gre
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That is a great idea ^.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I would acclimate them back regardless. I am a bit OCD.. but I drip my fish for an hour regardless of whether theyre coming from a store, mail, friend, or just a different tank in the basement.

I agree that a bucket is the best bet... much easier to re-work a tank without fish.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, guys!!

Tags
cap

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com