Major renovations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rhino said:
Get a marineland light timer. Only ten bucks at petsmart. You set it for when you want it off and when you want it on and it does the rest. I work weird hours and have the same problem. This allows the light to turn on while I am gone so I can actually enjoy it when I get home.

Or you could buy any generic timer for like $3-$4 lol

Oddy enough I hadn's considered the possibility of having a mini cycle, or even a full blown cycle, after changing my substrate and main driftwood. I placed seeded media in my new aquaclear filter, and I already had the marineland established, but I checked my nitrate level yesterday and nothing showed. I did the change Friday night. Is it still too soon to show nitrates? My main test kit was at school, so I couldn't test ammonia or nitrite levels. My bioload is small for a 29g IMO. What are the chances of a cycle? Anyone please feel free to respond.

My last parameter test was right on, so no worries. I lost the sickly little julii, but the other one is doing great. I've done some more rearranging and added some larger rocks. I still don't have live plants though. I actually went to petco yesterday to get some, and the sales person told me that it was really hard to get the plants to live and most people either have a "fish" tank or strickly a "plant" tank, that it wouldn't work to mix the two:huh:. I was quite stunned. He told me I would need specialized lighting and that the florecent bulb I had wouldn't work. I have a marineland T8 natural daylight bulb. I have no idea what the wattage is because it came with the hood and it's not written on the bulb anywhere. He explained that in his experience the plants would only live for about a month and then he'd have to go in and clean everything, and he went on to say that plants were nothing but a hassle. Very strange.
Basically I want the outlay to look similar to this, but I'd like real plants.

Attachments

• new sand tank 003.jpg
    new sand tank 003.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 50
  • new sand tank 002.jpg
    new sand tank 002.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 50
I had looked up something on line just before posting on this forum and as soon as I posted, the exact thing I'd been viewing was being advertised on this page. Very strange.

This is why you can't trust what the petstore people say. Nice tank by the way.

Wow, the black sand is really nice!

I was checking things out in my 5g betta tank and I noticed a tiny little snail shell lying on the bottom, turned on it's side. I have to admit I know absolutely nothing about snails. Over a month ago I noticed the little baby on the side of the tank, apparently it was in the dw I bought?? The dw was in a display tank at the lfs, so I'm thinking it was dormant or something. The piece was in my tank for a month before I ever saw the snail. Anyway, my question is, and please don't laugh, but do they outgrow their shells and grow new ones? And what do they eat? Is my little baby snail dead? Could my betta have killed it? He's really fiesty. I would really appreciate any help here.

Reygan2 said:
Wow, the black sand is really nice!

I was checking things out in my 5g betta tank and I noticed a tiny little snail shell lying on the bottom, turned on it's side. I have to admit I know absolutely nothing about snails. Over a month ago I noticed the little baby on the side of the tank, apparently it was in the dw I bought?? The dw was in a display tank at the lfs, so I'm thinking it was dormant or something. The piece was in my tank for a month before I ever saw the snail. Anyway, my question is, and please don't laugh, but do they outgrow their shells and grow new ones? And what do they eat? Is my little baby snail dead? Could my betta have killed it? He's really fiesty. I would really appreciate any help here.

Hmmmm? I put 5 pond snails in my daughters Betta tank and the Betta ate them all.

I know over filtering is good, but I have a lot of current in my tank. I wonder if the AC 70 is enough for my 29g. I currently have that plus a marineland 50 running, and even with adjusting the flow on the AC, my little angel is having a hard time in the center of the tank. I would like to keep the Marineland as a backup and just run the AC. I do regular pwc's, so what should I do?

Back
Top Bottom