Make or female german blue ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willsFishTank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is this a male or female German blue ram

It was chasing around another GBR at the store so I thought it was a male but I'm not sure now

image-1899031263.jpg

The best way to tell a female gbr from a male is the females will have a pink stomach area, and usually will have more of the blue shine around the large black spot on each side of the fish, though the pink stomach is the best indicator.

Ok thanks its new to the tank so as its colors brighten up over time I will probaly be able to tell

The pink in the stomach should be visible even when the fish is young...

Not necessarily. They get it when they hit the 3 to 3 and a half month. That ram right there is most likely around 4 and a half months old, so yes it should. I look more at the body shape, head shape, dorsal fin, fin development. And I would have to say male.

Not necessarily. They get it when they hit the 3 to 3 and a half month. That ram right there is most likely around 4 and a half months old, so yes it should. I look more at the body shape, head shape, dorsal fin, fin development. And I would have to say male.

Lol guess it depends on some peoples description of young as I would say 3-4 months is young, most breeders/LFS won't even sell them till around that age anyways.

Lol guess it depends on some peoples description of young as I would say 3-4 months is young, most breeders/LFS won't even sell them till around that age anyways.

3-4 months is the normal around here. Because of the very short life span and early maturity I put "young" around 2.5 months, when they really start to develop.

Back
Top Bottom