making driftwood safe for my pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slroo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a piece of driftwood from Petco. It was labeled for terrariums and reptiles, and it is a piece of grapewood. I figured it would be okay for my tank, (didn't bother to ask an employee because they are idiots there) took it home and boiled it, let it soak for a week, and now it looks ready to go in. My question is, do I have to scrub the bark off first? It flakes and peels off in strips, and wasn't sure if this would be harmful to my pleco. Also, how much can I expect this to change my PH? It is about a foot long, and about as big around as a coke can.

IMO, I would not put anything that was not for aquariums in my tank. It is not worth the chance. I have never seen a piece of "driftwood" that had bark on it that was for sale.

From Dr.'s Foster & Smith:

"When purchasing driftwood, make sure it is safe for aquarium use. Driftwood sold for reptiles may look ideal for aquariums but it may contain chemicals harmful to fish."

slroo said:
Also, how much can I expect this to change my PH?

that all depents on how much of the tannin's where boiled out and the rate at which the rest come out.

oh alright, dang it! lol...I kinda thought that, was just hoping someone would say it was perfectly safe and that I was being paranoid, lol!

That wood is really lovely, but I've heard some tales that it's not to be used in aquaria. I fergit why...something bad! I have some in my tank that is very similar in appearance, though, sold for aquariums. I'll git a pic shortly and post it, and find out what they call it.

thanks, plecoperson. that would be helpful. Petco only had this particular type, and I'm having a difficult time finding something safe that will give him something to rasp on and provide shade.

aaaa

I have read that about grapewood or grapevine, too. Also cannot remember the reason but it cannot be used in an aquarium. Slroo, did your petco have any driftwood in their tanks? Every one I have been in has wood in at least some tanks and it is all for sale. Just a quick 15 minutes in boiling water, just to be safe and kill anything that might lurk and you are ready to go!! Best of all, it is very unlikely to leach anymore tannin, althought the water you boil it in might discolor a bit. If not, their is always aquabid or ebay. Whichever, your pleco will love it. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom