Making my own fishfood, I'm an idiot.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The gelatin serves as a binder. It will break apart very easily when in contact with the water.
I would try breaking off a few small pieces, drop in regular water (same temp as tank of course) and see what happens. If it looks like a mess, the answer is moot.

Don't feel bad, it's normal for an ingredient in a recipe to be omitted. Just ask any baker who forgot to add eggs to their mixture. :)

I would try it as JC suggests. If it disintegrates immediately upon hitting the water, maybe you can freeze dry it and make flake instead. That way the ingredients won't be a total loss. You work in a lab, don't you? Do you have access to a freeeze dryer?

As a last resort, serve it with crackers at your next dinner party and tell your guests that it's pate made from an old family recipe! :mrgreen:

So last night after I logged off on here I decided to do as JChillin mentioned (even though I didn't see any of these posts at the time), and low and behold, it works FINE!

Yes it breaks apart a little quicker then I would like to see, but it becomes a feeding frenzy once a chunk gets bit (as it releases a small cloud of food). Fortunately my food processor was a piece of junk and I couldn't get the pieces quite as small as I would have liked, but that seems to keep it bound a bit better. But here's the best part:

It SINKS!

My biggest concern was that this would just float at the surface (where most of my fish don't go due to the tiger barbs), but it turns out my recipe (which I can never duplicate again :) because I was cutting it in 1/2 and doing a lot of, "well that looks like about 1/4lb", makes the food slightly less buoyant than the water. This mean it sinks very slowly in the tank so everyone can get a good look as it falls.

I had read that sometimes it takes a couple feedings before they take a liking to it, but that was not a problem with my fish. Within about 30seconds of dropping it in the tank there was a lot of activity. The food had landed on a leaf above where most stay so they could smell it but not see it. It was pretty funny to watch them hunting for something they couldn't find. Finally one of the fish found it, and the frenzy was on.

Because it sinks I'm not worried about the slight mess it makes because my cory and MTS will cleanup overnight.

So basically for about $7-10 I have about a pound of high quality frozen food that I plan to feed once a day. The other feeding will still be using a combination of my Hikari FD products. I think the flake food is going to be retired (which stinks because I just bought a new bag from Big Al's that I haven't opened yet).

I'm just waiting to see if I get some vibrant colors on my fish. The tigers have always looked great, but my dwarf gourami (possibly due to stress) never has gotten the rich coloration I'm hoping (its possible he's also not fully grown).

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just so happy this worked out, even if I screwed up the recipe! :D

plecoperson said:
Yay!!

It's so rewarding to cook for your fish and have them dig in like that.

We're DORKS, by the way!

Speak for yourself! :D

Oh, just wanted to mention that the single clove of garlic I used was easily detected in the mix by a quick wiff. I was surprised such a small amount would still be noticeable after all the other ingredients but it was. I think that might play a role with how well the fish took to it.

The carrot was added for the beta-carotine which I hear is good for pigmentation (coloration), and the cucumber and strawberries were added for the heck of it. :)

Also wanted to mention that I think part of the reason that the piece doesn't fall apart right away is because I add it to the tank FROZEN. I would imagine if it went into the tank thawed it would make a lot more mess. It probably partially thaws in the time it takes to go from the freezer (downstairs), to the tank (upstairs). Think the wife would mind a minifridge in the office for the food? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom