Making My Own Frozen Fish Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fddlss

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm wondering if I can mix the different foods that I feed and plan on feeding my fish and then freeze it and feed to my fish twice a day. That way I don't have to keep up with a schedule and stop worrying about giving too much or too little of something to my fish, and I will save time and money.

These is my current stock list:
6" Silver Arowana
5" Black Ghost Knife
6x Silver Dollars
7" Gold Severum
10" L330 Spotted Royal Pleco

These is some of what I feed and plan on feeding my Arowana:
-Hikari Jumbo Carnisticks
-Hikari Frozen Bloodworms
-Hikari Frozen Jumbo Mysis Shrimp
-Small Farm Bred Crickets

This is for the Gold Severum:
-Hikari Sinking Cichlid Excel Pellets
-Hikari Frozen Gammarus
-Carrots
-Cucumber
-Romaine Lettuce

This is for the BGK:
-Hikari Frozen Jumbo Mysis Shrimp

This is for the Watermelon Pleco:
-Hikari Algae Wafers
-Carrots
-Cucumber
-Romaine Lettuce
-Plus, the algae he eats off the tank and the wood he eats, but, of course, this is "naturally" available in the tank for him and won't be part of the mixed frozen food.

This is for the Silver Dollars:
-Hikari Algae Wafers
-Hikari Sinking Cichlid Excel Pellets
-Carrots
-Cucumber
-Romaine Lettuce

I will also add chopped garlic and unshelled peas in the blender, with the other foods, to make enhance the flavor for the fish and for its positive effect on the fish's immune system and the laxative effect of the peas.

I'm also planning on feeding all of them Hikari Freeze Dried Krill, only as a treat, once a week. This will be separate from the frozen food mix.

In the end, if I keep my current stock, I will end up with 4 different food mixes according to the species.

Now, I'm wondering if I can just get the appropriate portion of each food, for each individual species and mix it all together in a blender and then freeze it and when it's time to feed it I just thaw it in a little water and then feed. Would I need to blench the vegetables first? Best way to apply the garlic and peas to the mix? Anything I need to know? Pros? Cons?

Thank you.

Wow, thats a nice stock, you must have a huge tank. This is probably a dumb question... How would you keep the fish from eating each others food?

Wow, thats a nice stock, you must have a huge tank. This is probably a dumb question... How would you keep the fish from eating each others food?

Thanks. I would basically hand feed it to them, since everyone will have their own frozen piece I will make sure I place the food close to the fish that it is meant to and I might not thaw it all the way, so it won't disperse all over the tank.

Back
Top Bottom