Making Stocking List for 5 Gallon Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashenwelt

Aquarium Advice Freak
So a question that comes up a lot is what can go into a five gallon aquarium. This expects heat and filtration and good water. I have made a list over the years on what I KNOW people have been successful with. As such, can you help me expand this list? Please only add if YOU have done it. Here is my list.

What can go in a five? Many, many options. Many of which will start arguments. This is a list that people have been successful with. It’s not a guarantee but it is a place to start.

Fish:
Endlers (males preferably, add a female and you had best e selling a lot of babies all the time)
Betta (1m or 1-2 females, 2 may cause issues depending on personality)
Green Neon Tetra (not really green)
Ember Tetras
Scarlet Badis
Celestial Pearl Danios
Many types of rasboras (some are incredible looking, but they are often the very tiny varieties)
Some types of Killifish
Dwarf Puffer
Smallest Gobbies
Smallest two species of the shell dwelling cichlids (Lamprologus Ocellatus or neolamprologus multifasciatus/similis)
Asian Stone Catfish
Smallest apistogramma species (preferably just for breeding, but several under 2 inches have been kept)

Invertebrates:

Red Cherry Shrimp
Crystal Red Shrimp
Amano Shrimp
Spiki Snail
Pond Snail (beware)
Nerite Snail

And nearly everyone one of them can and will start an ethics argument. Remember there are additional concerns when doing this such as: water temp., water type, water quality, plant levels, ground cover/substrate, etc.

Personally I'd never keep just two female bettas together, it never ends well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Personally I'd never keep just two female bettas together, it never ends well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
That's why the warning, but its there because many people do it. It seems to be all or nothing. Disneyland or Wes Craven movie with nothing in between.

So here is the current list. Working on this on multiple sites. Trying to build a real list. If anyone has other suggestions, please add them.

One point here is: yes, this is for people who do want to put fish in a 5 gallon... or not. The invertebrates section is there for a reason.

What can go in a five? Many, many options. Many of which will start arguments. This is a list that people have been successful with. It’s not a guarantee but it is a place to start.

Fish:
Endlers (males preferably, add a female and you had best e selling a lot of babies all the time)
Dwarf Mosquitofish / Heterandria formosay
Guppy
Fancy Guppy
Betta
Licorice Gourami
Green Neon Tetra (not really green)
Ember Tetras (debated)
Scarlet Badis
Celestial Pearl Danios
Chili rasboras
Dwarf Rasbora / Boraras maculatus
Mosquito Rasbora / Boraras brigittae
Some types of Killifish
Dwarf Puffer
Asian Stone Catfish
Smallest Gobbies
Lamprologus Ocellatus; (use caution and watch for aggression)
Neolamprologus multifasciatus/similis; (use caution and watch for aggression)
Apistogramma wapisana; (use caution and watch for aggression)
Apistogramma borellii; (use caution and watch for aggression)

Invertebrates:
Cherry Shrimp (all varieties)
Crystal Shrimp (all varieties)
Ghost Shrimp
Amano Shrimp
Spiki Snail
Pond Snail (beware)
Nerite Snail

And nearly everyone one of them can and will start an ethics argument. Remember there are additional concerns when doing this such as: water temp., water type, water quality, plant levels, ground cover/substrate, etc.

Most of those fish you named are too big for a 5 gallon. Most require 10 gallons at a minimum. Just because you can cram a fish into a small space does not mean it will live a happy life. Look at it this way: could you live in a bathtub the rest of your life? Yes if someone brings you food and water. Would you be happy? No. Would you have a shorter life span and health problems? Yes.

For instance, Scarlet Badis need way bigger tanks for that. Most are wild caught as well and need more room. Killifish and puffers also need a lot of room. Puffers are very intelligent and need things to explore. That is too small for them to explore. Absolutely no on the Apistos or any Cichlid. Apistos need 30 gallons minimum. Type each fish name into Google (or LiveAquaria), look for their minimum tank size and add 10 gallons to that. All of the invertebrates are fine however.

I think we have spoken before. Not trying to be mean in any way, shape, or form. People on here, including me will get defensive for a fish when it is being set up in unideal parameters. Honestly, use the 5 gallon for a QT tank, which everyone needs for this hobby. Then go out and buy a 10-15 gallon aquarium at Petco. Usually they have $1 per gallon sales. $15 isn't bad for a tank 3x's that size. Your fish will love you for it too by coloring up better, and diseases not overtaking the tank due to stress. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Most of those fish you named are too big for a 5 gallon. Most require 10 gallons at a minimum. Just because you can cram a fish into a small space does not mean it will live a happy life. Look at it this way: could you live in a bathtub the rest of your life? Yes if someone brings you food and water. Would you be happy? No. Would you have a shorter life span and health problems? Yes.

For instance, Scarlet Badis need way bigger tanks for that. Most are wild caught as well and need more room. Killifish and puffers also need a lot of room. Puffers are very intelligent and need things to explore. That is too small for them to explore. Absolutely no on the Apistos or any Cichlid. Apistos need 30 gallons minimum. Type each fish name into Google (or LiveAquaria), look for their minimum tank size and add 10 gallons to that. All of the invertebrates are fine however.

I think we have spoken before. Not trying to be mean in any way, shape, or form. People on here, including me will get defensive for a fish when it is being set up in unideal parameters. Honestly, use the 5 gallon for a QT tank, which everyone needs for this hobby. Then go out and buy a 10-15 gallon aquarium at Petco. Usually they have $1 per gallon sales. $15 isn't bad for a tank 3x's that size. Your fish will love you for it too by coloring up better, and diseases not overtaking the tank due to stress. Hope this helps!

S I will respond on the two points you listed.

First on the fish, I am listing only fish vetted in multiple locations and by multiple people, who have been successful, and have been in this for a while (myself, 40 years). Every fish on this list is and has been vetted. And for your example, the Scarlet Badis is a very common nano fish. Remember any aquarium is a drastic reduction in space needed for the fish, without question.

As for 10 gallon first? Sometimes you don't have the option of a 10 gallon. Its become common for leases to actually list aquariums above 5 gallons as forbidden. People who live in these can have a 5, or can skip an aquarium. Oddly there is usually no limit on any lease I have seen for number of five gallon aquariums.

My goal here is simple: I am sharing here as a helpful for those who do build 5 gallon aquariums. Remember many hear detest 5 Gallon tanks... but many other do have them.

Do you mind me asking what your sources are? No where online or any forum they will say those fish I listed work for a 5 gallon aquarium. If it is your LFS they will say anything to get you to buy fish. Especially if they say Apistos work for that aquarium. That says right there they have no idea what they are doing.

As for the size aquarium. That would not be an excuse to cram fish in a small aquarium. It's like when people say they really want a puppy but can't afford the time for one. But they really want one so they get it anyways. People on here detest 5 gallons because they are not good homes for fish. Any experienced keeper that knows fish and their needs will say that.

I hope that makes sense.

Do you mind me asking what your sources are? No where online or any forum they will say those fish I listed work for a 5 gallon aquarium. If it is your LFS they will say anything to get you to buy fish. Especially if they say Apistos work for that aquarium. That says right there they have no idea what they are doing.

As for the size aquarium. That would not be an excuse to cram fish in a small aquarium. It's like when people say they really want a puppy but can't afford the time for one. But they really want one so they get it anyways. People on here detest 5 gallons because they are not good homes for fish. Any experienced keeper that knows fish and their needs will say that.

I hope that makes sense.

So there have been some 5 gallon tanks here... so some people hate them. And as an experienced fish keeper... I disagree. :)

As for where? People, on forums and in person, not LFS. This same thread is actually on four sites right now, with the same ask and is based on many others that have been discussed over the years. And honestly, most fish people would expect are NOT getting on here. Very limited. Heavily those who actually do have them. Some are getting in here as debated. The apistos came from people who breed and raise them for example today. Most apistos are flat out not going to be on this list. Heck there are fish I know I could pull off in a five that will never end up on this list as it is too borderline and to unstable.

Remember most restrictions that people teach are arbitrary based on experience not science. Kind of why Mollys which for 20 years of MY experience were recommended in 10 gallon aquariums (and no, I only used them for this very early on till I realized it was stupid and only used them for breading with Mollys... nearly 40 years ago).

This is a what we are looking at:

1. Will they thrive?
2. Are they too active?
3. Are they too fragile?

Now like saltwater nanos... these need CONSTANT attention. 5 gallons is simply not as stable as 10 gallons which is not as stable as... infinity. That is actually the biggest worry with 5s to me. How stable can you make them?

Note: we may disagree on the status of 5 gallon aquariums, but I don't mind explaining the reasoning.

Back
Top Bottom